Finding displacement using net work?

In summary, the motion of a 2 kg particle with an initial velocity of 5 m/s in the positive x direction is described by the force F = (30 N - 2N/s*t)i. Using the equations F=ma and W=integral F(x)dx, the particle comes to a stop at x = 2400 m after 30.33 seconds.
ooohffff
This post does not use the homework template because it was originally posted in a non-homework forum.

Homework Statement

The question is: A 2 kg particle is moving in the positive x direction with the speed of 5 m/s. As it passes the origin, a force F = (30 N - 2N/s*t)i is applied to it. Where does the particle come to a stop?

Homework Equations

F=ma
W = integral F(x)dx
K=.5mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

K1 = .5(2)(5)^2 = 25 J
K2 = .5(2)(0)^2 = 0 J
W = K2-K1= -25 J

My main issue is I'm not sure how to rewrite the force equation in terms of x, since I can use it in the formula Work = integral F(x)dx from 0 to x to solve for x.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I deleted my previous post. I think the suggestion was not correct. You need to first write v as a function of t and find the value of t for which v=0. Then you should write displacement x as a function of time and put the value of t to get the displacement. You'll need differential equations for this. What is the relation between v, F and t?

F=ma=m(v/t)
cnh1995 said:
I deleted my previous post. I think the suggestion was not correct. You need to first write v as a function of t and find the value of t for which v=0. Then you should write displacement x as a function of time and put the value of t to get the displacement. You'll need differential equations for this.

So since F=ma, I divided the force vector by 2kg, giving me an acceleration vector of a=(15-t)i

Taking the integral of that, I would get a velocity vector of v = (15t - .5t^2 + 5)i. Set v=0, then I get t=30.33 s.

Does that look right so far?

ooohffff said:
F=ma=m(v/t)So since F=ma, I divided the force vector by 2kg, giving me an acceleration vector of a=(15-t)i

Taking the integral of that, I would get a velocity vector of v = (15t - .5t^2 + 5)i. Set v=0, then I get t=30.33 s.

Does that look right so far?
Yes.

cnh1995 said:
Yes.

Ok, so the final result doesn't look right...So taking the integral of v, I get x=[-1.5t^3 + 7.5t^2 + 5t]i . Plugging in 30.33 s, I get x = -384803.29

ooohffff said:
Ok, so the final result doesn't look right...So taking the integral of v, I get x=[-1.5t^3 + 7.5t^2 + 5t]i . Plugging in 30.33 s, I get x = -384803.29
Check the integration again. The answer comes out to be positive.

cnh1995 said:
Check the integration again. The answer comes out to be positive.

Oops, you're right, it should be (-1/6)t^3 not (-3/2)t^3. And the answer comes out to 2400 m

ooohffff said:
Oops, you're right, it should be (-1/6)t^3 not (-3/2)t^3. And the answer comes out to 2400 m
Right. 2400.82...

cnh1995 said:
Right. 2400.82...

Yup! I only need 2 sig figs, though. Thank you so much for your help!

ooohffff said:
Thank you so much for your help!
No problem! And welcome to Physics Forums!

Related to Finding displacement using net work?

1. How is displacement related to net work?

Displacement is the distance an object has moved from its original position. It is related to net work because net work is the total amount of energy transferred to or from an object, which can cause a change in its displacement.

2. What is the formula for finding displacement using net work?

The formula for finding displacement using net work is d = W/F, where d is displacement, W is net work, and F is the average force applied to the object.

3. Can displacement be negative when using net work?

Yes, displacement can be negative when using net work. This occurs when the net work is in the opposite direction of the displacement, meaning the object moves backwards from its original position.

4. Is finding displacement using net work the same as finding distance traveled?

No, finding displacement using net work is not the same as finding distance traveled. Displacement takes into account the change in position of an object, while distance traveled only measures the total length of the path traveled by an object.

5. What units are used to measure displacement when using net work?

Displacement is typically measured in meters (m) when using net work, as it represents the change in position of an object in a specific direction. However, other units such as feet (ft) or kilometers (km) can also be used.