Finding distance on a distance-time graph

• Thread starter chwala
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about calculating distance and average speed. The answer provided explains the concept of average speed and provides two different approaches for solving the problem. The conversation also includes a discussion about the difference between average speed and average velocity.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
find the distance travelled by considering the distance-time graph below
Relevant Equations
travel graphs
1613522711024.png

this question caught me by surprise, i had made an assumption that its straight forward...my interest is on question 1.b

the total distance traveled is ##1+1+8=10##...
average speed is therefore = ##2.5m/s##

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello !

chwala said:
my interest is on question 1.b
And you have an answer. What is your question ?

BvU said:
Hello !

And you have an answer. What is your question ?
i do not really have a question, i am looking for an alternative approach...or can i assume there isn't?

chwala said:
i do not really have a question, i am looking for an alternative approach...or can i assume there isn't?
Right, there isn't. Just look at the graph to see how the position changes each second. Note that although the particle traveled 10 units, its displacement changed by only 8 units. In the first second it moved backward by 1 unit, then forward in the second second to get to its original position, then moved 8 units in the next two seconds, from 5 to 13. So although the distance traveled was 1 + 1 + 8 = 10 units, its change in position was -1 + 1 + 8 = 8 units.

Likes chwala
Mark44 said:
Right, there isn't. Just look at the graph to see how the position changes each second. Note that although the particle traveled 10 units, its displacement changed by only 8 units. In the first second it moved backward by 1 unit, then forward in the second second to get to its original position, then moved 8 units in the next two seconds, from 5 to 13. So although the distance traveled was 1 + 1 + 8 = 10 units, its change in position was -1 + 1 + 8 = 8 units.
Thanks mark, you've given me help for the last 10 years...bingo from Africa!

Likes Mark44
chwala said:
Thanks mark, you've given me help for the last 10 years...bingo from Africa!
I knew it had be a while, but didn't realize that it had been 10 years.

chwala said:

While your graphical approach works great,
here's an approach that relies on the calculus definitions [since this is a calculus and beyond subforum]
and gives an interpretation.
(Screencaptured from a desmos calculation. Type it in yourself at https://www.desmos.com/calculator .)

1613581842432.png

The [itex] Y_{avgSpeed} [/itex] line is a little long:
[itex] Y_{avgSpeed}\left(T\right)=Y\left(0\right)+\left\{0\le T\le t_{1}:\ \left(s_{avg}T\cdot\operatorname{sign}\left(Y\left(1\right)-Y\left(0\right)\right)\right)\ ,t_{1}\le T\le4:\ \left(\left(Y\left(1\right)-Y\left(0\right)\right)+s_{avg}\left(T-t_{1}\right)\cdot\operatorname{sign}\left(Y\left(4\right)-Y\left(1\right)\right)\right)\right\} [/itex]
(You can right-click on the equation, Show Math as [itex] \TeX [/itex] commands, then copy to the clipboard, then paste into a Desmos cell.)

• Speed [itex]S [/itex] is the magnitude of the [instantaneous] velocity [itex] V [/itex].
  • Distance [itex] d [/itex] traveled is the integral of the speed function over time.
  • Average-speed [itex] s_{avg} [/itex] is the time-weighted average of speed,
    and is equal to the total distance divided by the total time.
The average-speed is
the constant speed of a traveler to travel the same total distance along the same path in space in the same time
as the given variable-velocity path.

This is, of course, different from the average-velocity,
which is the
the constant velocity of a traveler to travel the same total displacement between the endpoints in space in the same time

Likes chwala
robphy said:
While your graphical approach works great,
here's an approach that relies on the calculus definitions [since this is a calculus and beyond subforum]
and gives an interpretation.
(Screencaptured from a desmos calculation. Type it in yourself at https://www.desmos.com/calculator .)

View attachment 278211
The [itex] Y_{avgSpeed} [/itex] line is a little long:
[itex] Y_{avgSpeed}\left(T\right)=Y\left(0\right)+\left\{0\le T\le t_{1}:\ \left(s_{avg}T\cdot\operatorname{sign}\left(Y\left(1\right)-Y\left(0\right)\right)\right)\ ,t_{1}\le T\le4:\ \left(\left(Y\left(1\right)-Y\left(0\right)\right)+s_{avg}\left(T-t_{1}\right)\cdot\operatorname{sign}\left(Y\left(4\right)-Y\left(1\right)\right)\right)\right\} [/itex]
(You can right-click on the equation, Show Math as [itex] \TeX [/itex] commands, then copy to the clipboard, then paste into a Desmos cell.)

• Speed [itex]S [/itex] is the magnitude of the [instantaneous] velocity [itex] V [/itex].
  • Distance [itex] d [/itex] traveled is the integral of the speed function over time.
  • Average-speed [itex] s_{avg} [/itex] is the time-weighted average of speed,
    and is equal to the total distance divided by the total time.
The average-speed is
the constant speed of a traveler to travel the same total distance along the same path in space in the same time

This is, of course, different from the average-velocity,
which is the
the constant velocity of a traveler to travel the same total displacement between the endpoints in space in the same time
impressive boss!

Related to Finding distance on a distance-time graph

What is a distance-time graph?

A distance-time graph is a visual representation of the relationship between distance and time. The distance is plotted on the vertical axis, while time is plotted on the horizontal axis. It shows how the distance traveled changes over a specific period of time.

How do you find the distance on a distance-time graph?

To find the distance on a distance-time graph, you need to look at the vertical axis and find the value that corresponds to the time interval you are interested in. Then, follow that value horizontally until it intersects with the line on the graph. The distance at that point is the distance traveled in that time interval.

What does the slope of a distance-time graph represent?

The slope of a distance-time graph represents the speed or rate of change of the distance traveled over time. A steeper slope indicates a faster speed, while a flatter slope represents a slower speed.

How do you calculate the speed from a distance-time graph?

To calculate the speed from a distance-time graph, you need to find the slope of the line. This can be done by dividing the change in distance by the change in time. The resulting value is the average speed for that time interval.

What does a horizontal line on a distance-time graph represent?

A horizontal line on a distance-time graph represents a constant speed. This means that the distance traveled is the same for every time interval, and the slope of the line is zero. It could also indicate that the object is at rest, as there is no change in distance over time.