Finding eigenvalues, Shankar exercise 1.8.3

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a given matrix and its solutions. The person apologizes for potentially posting in the wrong place and for the poor formatting. They also mention that they are self-studying and not sure if the question counts as homework. The conversation ends with a clarification that the person made a mistake in the original question and thanks the other person for pointing it out.
TimID
First, I appologise if this is in the wrong place, while the book is QM, the question is pure maths. Also I'm not sure if this techically counts as homework as I am self studying. Finally, sorry for the poor formatting, I'm not that good with LaTeX

Homework Statement

Given the matrix: [tex]\Omega[/tex] =
[tex]\left[ {\begin{array}{ccc}
2 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 3 & -1 \\
0 & -1 & 3 \\
\end{array} } \right]
[/tex]

Show that [tex]\omega[/tex]1 = [tex]\omega[/tex]2 = 1; [tex]\omega[/tex]3 = 2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So det([tex]\Omega[/tex] - [tex]\omega[/tex]I) = (2 - [tex]\omega[/tex])((3 - [tex]\omega[/tex])(3 - [tex]\omega[/tex]) - 1)

Which obviously leaves [tex]\omega[/tex] = 2, but also (3 - [tex]\omega[/tex])2 = 1, the solutions to which should be [tex]\omega[/tex] = 2 and [tex]\omega[/tex] = 4.

Where am I going wrong?

Any help greatfully appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're not going wrong for the given matrix. Are you sure you're doing the right problem?

You're absolutely right, there was a factor of a half in the original question that I completely missed, thanks. I must have checked the original problem a dozen times before posting and didn't spot it, I hate my brain sometimes.

Thanks again,

Tim

Related to Finding eigenvalues, Shankar exercise 1.8.3

What are eigenvalues and why are they important?

Eigenvalues are the values that satisfy the characteristic equation of a matrix. They are important because they provide information about the behavior of a system and are used in many areas of science and engineering, such as quantum mechanics, signal processing, and data analysis.

How do you find eigenvalues?

To find eigenvalues, you first need to calculate the determinant of the matrix. Then, you need to solve the characteristic equation, which is a polynomial equation in terms of the eigenvalues. Finally, the solutions to the equation are the eigenvalues of the matrix.

What is the relationship between eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

Eigenvectors are the corresponding vectors to the eigenvalues of a matrix. They represent the directions in which a linear transformation only scales the vector, without changing its direction. The eigenvalues determine the scaling factor for each eigenvector.

Can a matrix have complex eigenvalues?

Yes, a matrix can have complex eigenvalues. This happens when the matrix has complex coefficients or when the characteristic equation has complex solutions. In these cases, the eigenvectors will also have complex components.

What is the significance of the multiplicity of an eigenvalue?

The multiplicity of an eigenvalue is the number of times it appears as a solution to the characteristic equation. It is significant because it can provide information about the geometric and algebraic properties of the matrix. For example, if an eigenvalue has a multiplicity of 2, it means that there are two linearly independent eigenvectors associated with that eigenvalue.