Finding Electric Field of A Sheet Infinite In Magnitude

In summary, the problem deals with finding the electric field just above the middle of a large, flat, horizontal sheet of charge with a charge per unit area of 3.15 µC/m2. By using a Gaussian surface in the shape of a cube, it is possible to solve the problem by considering the two sides of the cube above and below the sheet, which experience electric flux. The electric field is assumed to be constant in this area and can be found using Gauss' law. By summing up all the infinitesimal areas containing the same charge, dq can be equated to q and substituted into the Gauss' law equation. The areas of the sheet and the Gaussian cube will cancel out, leaving the expression for the electric field
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

A large, flat, horizontal sheet of charge has a charge per unit area of 3.15 µC/m2. Find the electric field just above the middle of the sheet.

Homework Equations

[itex]dq = \sigma dA[/itex]

[itex]\oint \vec{E} \cdot d\vec{A} = \frac{q_enc}{\epsilon_0}[/itex]

[itex]\epsilon_0 = \frac{1}{4 \pi k_e}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured that if I could generate a Gaussian surface--specifically, a cube--,then I could solve this problem. Since two sides of the cube won't experience electric field lines propagating through, we won't have to consider those two sides; but the side of the cube above the sheet, and the side of the cube below the sheet, will experience electric flux. Furthermore, since the electric field lines are either emanating upwards or downwards, the amount of electric field lines will be the same through each of the two sides will be the same.

Hence, [itex]\vec{E}\oint d\vec{A} = \frac{q_enc}{\epsilon_0}[/itex].

In order for me to substitute in[itex]dq[/itex] for [itex]q[/itex], they need to be equal. I know they are equal, but I am having trouble justifying why the two are equal.

By doing this substitution, and solving for the electric field [itex]\vec{E}= \frac{\sigma dA}{\oint d\vec{A} \cdot \epsilon_0}[/itex].

Again, I know that that [itex]dA[/itex] and [itex]\oint d\vec{A}[/itex] cancel out, but I just can't qualify it.

Finally, since we are speaking about a point immediately above the center of the sheet, if we were to place a test particle at this position, it would only endure the electric field lines emanating from the top face of the sheet. Therefore, the electric field line at this point would be [itex]\frac{||\vec{E}||}{2}[/itex]

By using this method, I was able to solve the problem; but, as you can see, there are portions of this method I can't really justify. If someone could help me with using correct reasoning and terminology, I'd really appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
dA is a differential, the integral is not, they cannot cancel.
I think the electric field should be part of the integral.

The electric field is perpendicular to the surface and the cube is small, so you can assume that the electric field is constant in this area, and get E*A as result.

How come this method worked?

Is there any reason to expect a problem? ;)

I don't understand. Also, [itex]dq = q[/itex] is still needed, but why is it true?

This is not true. You have to integrate q over the same area.

All right, I am quite confused at the moment. Could someone please show me how to start a solution for this problem?

Take a small cube (better: the limit to size 0), symmetric around the center of the sheet with the obvious orientation. Based on symmetry, just the two sides above/below contribute to the flux of electric field in/out. The field is perpendicular to the surfaces and constant everywhere.

Gauß => ##2EA=\frac{Q}{\epsilon_0}## where the 2 comes from the two sides and Q is the charge of an area A of the disk. Therefore, E=... (independent of A)

I think I solved it, by discovering why precisely q and dq are equal. In a sense, they are equal. Since we know the charge per unit area, it is safe to assume that the charge is evenly distributed throughout this sheet that is infinite in magnitude. By summing up all of the infinitesimal areas, each containing the same charge, we get [itex]dq = \sigma dA_1 \rightarrow \int dq = \sigma \int dA_1 \rightarrow q = \sigma \cdot A_1[/itex] This particular q, is the q that is enclosed within the cube, thereby allowing me to substitute it into my Gauss law equation: [itex]E= \frac{\sigma \cdot A_1}{\oint d \vec{A_2}}[/itex], where A_1 is the area of the flat sheet, and A_2 is the surface area of the Gaussian cube. My question is, how would A_1 and A_2 cancel out? Would they completely vanish, or would only some of the terms from each one cancel out? One side of the Gaussian cube that is parallel to the sheet has the same area as the sheet; however, we have two sides of the Gaussian cube that are parallel to the sheet. So, would the relationship between A_1 and A_2 be: [itex]A_1 = \frac{A_2}{2}[/itex]

Right. That is the same "2" I have in post 8.

FAQ: Finding Electric Field of A Sheet Infinite In Magnitude

What is an infinite sheet in terms of electric field?

An infinite sheet in terms of electric field is a theoretical concept in which the sheet has an infinite length and width and is considered to have an infinite magnitude of charge.

How do you find the electric field of an infinite sheet?

To find the electric field of an infinite sheet, you can use the formula E = σ/2ε0, where σ is the surface charge density and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

What is the direction of the electric field for an infinite sheet?

The direction of the electric field for an infinite sheet is always perpendicular to the surface of the sheet, regardless of the position of the point in space.

What is the difference between an infinite sheet and a finite sheet in terms of electric field?

The main difference between an infinite sheet and a finite sheet in terms of electric field is that the electric field of an infinite sheet is constant and does not depend on the distance from the sheet, while the electric field of a finite sheet decreases with distance from the sheet.

Can the electric field of an infinite sheet be negative?

No, the electric field of an infinite sheet cannot be negative because it is always perpendicular to the surface and has a constant magnitude, making it positive in all directions.

Back