Finding electric potential where electric field is zero

In summary, two point charges (-10.0 nC and +20.0 nC) are 15.0 cm apart on the x-axis. To find the electric potential at a point on the x-axis where the electric field is zero, the equation V = k(Q/r) is used. However, the incorrect use of distance (always positive) in the equation results in an incorrect answer. To avoid this error, the magnitude of the fields should be equated while taking into account the change in field direction when passing through one of the charges.
cmkluza

Homework Statement

A -10.0 nC point charge and a +20.0 nC point charge are 15.0 cm apart on the x-axis.
What is the electric potential at the point on the x-axis where the electric field is zero?

Homework Equations

##E = k\frac{Q}{r^2}##
##V = k\frac{Q}{r}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I've set up my problem as follows:
RGlpBRd.png

I'm looking for the ##r## such that ##E = E_1 + E_2 = 0##. Setting up my equations gets me:
$$k\frac{(-10\times10^{-9})}{r^2} + k\frac{(20\times10^{-9})}{(0.15 - r)^2} = 0$$
$$\frac{20}{(0.15 - r)^2} = \frac{10}{r^2}$$
I used Wolfram to skip some algebra and got ##r = -\frac{3}{20}(1 + \sqrt{2})## and ##r = \frac{3}{20}(\sqrt{2}-1)##. Given that there has to be an electric field between the two point charges (unless I really need to brush up on my physics), I use the negative value for ##r##.
I set up the potential and try to solve as follows:
$$V = k\frac{(-10\times10^{-9})}{-\frac{3}{20}(1 + \sqrt{2})} + k\frac{(20\times10^{-9})}{(0.15 + \frac{3}{20}(1 + \sqrt{2}))}$$
I've done this a few times, even with some different numbers, and I keep getting the same answer of 599.2, but this is incorrect. What am I missing/doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider whether the math takes into account the change in field direction when it "passes through" one of the charges. If not, what can you do to avoid the problem?

cmkluza said:
I used Wolfram to skip some algebra and got ##r = -\frac{3}{20}(1 + \sqrt{2})## and ##r = \frac{3}{20}(\sqrt{2}-1)##. Given that there has to be an electric field between the two point charges (unless I really need to brush up on my physics), I use the negative value for ##r##.
EDIT: sorry, I didn't note your valid argument about r having to be <0. So you picked the right r < 0. But what I said below holds.
Also, when computing potentials, distance is always +.

Last edited:
rude man said:
why did you pick a negative value for r?
For the excellent reason cmkluza gave.
rude man said:
when computing potentials, distance is always +.
That is indeed the error.
gneill said:
Consider whether the math takes into account the change in field direction when it "passes through" one of the charges.
Despite cmkluza's first equation, the second equation has equated the magnitudes of the fields, which handles that issue at the expense of introducing the spurious positive root.

FAQ: Finding electric potential where electric field is zero

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the amount of electrical potential energy that a charged particle has at a certain point in an electric field. It is also known as voltage and is measured in volts (V).

2. How is electric potential related to electric field?

Electric potential and electric field are closely related. The electric field is the force per unit charge experienced by a charged particle, while the electric potential is the electric potential energy per unit charge. In other words, the electric field is the gradient of the electric potential.

3. How do you find the electric potential where the electric field is zero?

To find the electric potential where the electric field is zero, you can use the equation V = -∫E•dr, where V is the electric potential, E is the electric field, and dr is the distance. By integrating this equation along a path where the electric field is zero, you can find the electric potential at that point.

4. What is the significance of finding the electric potential where the electric field is zero?

Finding the electric potential where the electric field is zero is important because it tells us where charged particles would experience no force in that electric field. This can be useful in understanding the behavior of charged particles in a specific electric field and designing circuits and other electrical systems.

5. Can the electric potential be zero in an electric field?

Yes, the electric potential can be zero in an electric field. This occurs at points where the electric field is zero or when the electric field and electric potential are perpendicular to each other. In these cases, the electric potential energy of a charged particle is zero, meaning it will experience no force in that electric field.

Back