Finding electrostatic potential from charge distribution

In summary, the conversation is discussing the best way to find the potential and electric field for a given problem. The person asking the question is having trouble solving the integral due to the complex nature of the separation distance. The expert suggests using Gauss' law as an alternative method.
Plaetean
Note that posting images or image links does not count as filling out the homework template.

Homework Statement

Question

Homework Equations

Equation

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempt I am not sure how to write the |r-r'| in a way that allows me to actually solve the integral. I have tried writing |r-r'| in spherical co ords, but all I seem to be able to get is this as the separation distance, which seems impossible to integrate. Any help on whether I have gone about the problem the wrong way, or a way to write |r-r'| in a more manageable form would be very much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you required to first find the potential using the formula you gave? Or, are you allowed to find E using some other equation (or law)?

No, perhaps I could do it just using Gauss' law instead, might be easier

Plaetean said:
No, perhaps I could do it just using Gauss' law instead, might be easier

Yes, give it a try.

I understand your struggle with finding a manageable form for |r-r'| in the integral. Depending on the specific charge distribution and the desired location of the electrostatic potential, there are different approaches that can be taken to simplify the integral. One method is to use a coordinate system that is appropriate for the given charge distribution, such as cylindrical or spherical coordinates. Another approach is to use symmetry arguments to reduce the integral to a simpler form. Additionally, numerical methods can also be used to approximate the integral if an analytical solution is not possible. It may also be helpful to consult with a colleague or refer to resources such as textbooks or online tutorials for guidance on solving similar integrals.

FAQ: Finding electrostatic potential from charge distribution

1. What is electrostatic potential?

Electrostatic potential is a measure of the potential energy of a charged particle at a specific point in space, due to the presence of other charged particles in its surroundings.

2. How is electrostatic potential different from electric potential?

Electric potential is a broader term that encompasses both electrostatic potential and magnetic potential. Electrostatic potential only considers the effects of stationary charges, while electric potential takes into account the effects of both stationary and moving charges.

3. How can I find the electrostatic potential from a given charge distribution?

To find the electrostatic potential from a charge distribution, you can use the formula V = kQ/r, where V is the electrostatic potential, k is the Coulomb constant, Q is the charge of the particle, and r is the distance from the particle.

4. What units are used to measure electrostatic potential?

Electrostatic potential is measured in volts (V) or joules per coulomb (J/C).

5. Can the electrostatic potential at a point ever be negative?

Yes, the electrostatic potential at a point can be negative. This indicates that the particle at that point has a negative charge and is in a state of lower potential energy compared to a positive charge at the same point.

Back