Finding Errors in Proof for Baby Rudin Problem 2.7

• Thread starter julypraise
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a proof that if B is the union of an infinite number of sets A_i, then the complement of B is the union of the complements of A_i. However, there is an error in the reasoning and the individual discussing the proof is seeking help in finding it. The error is identified as the fourth if statement and a corrected version is suggested. The individual acknowledges the mistake and thanks the other person for their help.
julypraise

Homework Statement

I've proved that if [itex] B = \bigcup_{i=1}^{\infty} A_{i} [/itex] then [itex] \overline{B} = \bigcup_{i=1}^{\infty} \overline{A_{i}} [/itex] but it should not be right. So could you find errors on my reasoning?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Observe [tex] x \in \overline{B} [/tex]

iff for every [tex] \epsilon>0 \quad B(x;\epsilon) \cap B \neq \emptyset [/tex]

iff [tex] B(x;\epsilon) \cap \bigcup_{i=1}^{\infty} A_{i} \neq \emptyset [/tex]

iff [tex] B(x;\epsilon) \cap A_{i_{0}} \neq \emptyset [/tex] for some [itex] i_{0} \in \mathbb{Z}^{+}[/itex]

iff [tex] x \in \overline{A_{i_{0}}} [/tex]

iff [tex] x \in \bigcup_{i=1}^{\infty} \overline{A_{i}} [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Your fourth iff is wrong.

it should be if $x \in \bar{A_i_0}$ then $B(x,\epsilon)\cap A_{i_0}$.

I mean if $B(x,\epsilon) \cap A_{i_0}$ \forall \epsilon >0, x can still be outside of A_{i_0}.

Take another set such A_j such that x is in it but not in A_i_0 but they intersect each other, and such that whatever nbhd of x we pick it intersects A_i_0.

MathematicalPhysicist said:
Your fourth iff is wrong.

it should be if $x \in \bar{A_i_0}$ then $B(x,\epsilon)\cap A_{i_0}$.

I mean if $B(x,\epsilon) \cap A_{i_0}$ \forall \epsilon >0, x can still be outside of A_{i_0}.

Take another set such A_j such that x is in it but not in A_i_0 but they intersect each other, and such that whatever nbhd of x we pick it intersects A_i_0.

Oh yeah. I think I know what you mean. i_{0} depends on epsilon. Thanks.

FAQ: Finding Errors in Proof for Baby Rudin Problem 2.7

1. What is "Baby Rudin Problem 2.7"?

"Baby Rudin Problem 2.7" refers to a specific exercise problem from the book "Principles of Mathematical Analysis" by Walter Rudin. It is a well-known and widely used textbook in the field of mathematical analysis.

2. What is the difficulty level of "Baby Rudin Problem 2.7"?

The difficulty level of "Baby Rudin Problem 2.7" is considered to be intermediate to advanced. It requires a good understanding of basic concepts in mathematical analysis, such as limits and continuity, and the ability to apply them to solve a more complex problem.

3. What does "Baby Rudin Problem 2.7" ask for?

In "Baby Rudin Problem 2.7", the reader is asked to prove a statement about the continuity of a function at a specific point. The statement involves using the epsilon-delta definition of continuity and requires the reader to show that the function satisfies the given conditions.

4. How can I approach solving "Baby Rudin Problem 2.7"?

One approach to solving "Baby Rudin Problem 2.7" is to carefully read and understand the given conditions and the definition of continuity. Then, try to manipulate the conditions to fit the definition and use logical reasoning to prove the statement. It may also be helpful to look at similar examples or practice with simpler problems first.

5. Why is "Baby Rudin Problem 2.7" important?

"Baby Rudin Problem 2.7" is important because it helps readers develop their skills in mathematical analysis and strengthens their understanding of continuity. It also serves as a foundation for more advanced topics in the field and prepares readers for future problem-solving in mathematics and other related fields.

Back