Finding Exact and WKB Wavefunction for V(x) in E=10 Situation

• Thread starter JamesJames
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wkb
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the exact and WKB wavefunctions for a particle with energy E = 10 in units where \beta = \hbar = m = 1. The WKB approximation is used to solve the equation \frac {d^2 y}{dx^2} + k^2\left(1-\frac {\beta x}{E_0}\right) y = 0, which is a variant of the Airy differential equation. The conversation also clarifies the signs in the Schrodinger equation and the form of the solution.
JamesJames
Consider the potential
V(x) = [tex]\beta x[/tex] for x [tex]\geq\ 0[/tex]
V(x) = 0 for x < 0.

Find the exact and WKB wavefunction for the situation where a particle has
E = 10 in units where [tex]\beta = \hbar = m = 1[/tex].

Any suggestions guys?
James

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For x > 0 you are looking for approximate solutions of an equation having this form:

[tex]\frac {d^2 y}{dx^2} + k^2\left(1-\frac {\beta x}{E_0}\right) y = 0[/tex]

which will be of the form

[tex]e^{\pm i \frac {2}{3} k\left(1-\frac {\beta x}{E_0}\right)^{\frac {3}{2}}[/tex]

which is valid for x not close to [itex]E_0 / \beta[/itex].

Ok, what are you calling k because here is what I would think the Shrodinger equation is
[tex]
\frac {d^2 y}{dx^2} + \beta x y = E_0 y
[/tex]

And is that the WKB solution?

Last edited:
Yes, I abbreviated k and just gave the form of the equation. I think your signs are reversed on the [itex]\beta[/itex] and [itex]E_0[/itex] terms.

Your equation is actually a variant of the Airy differential equation but the point of your problem is to use the WKB approximation which essentially says that the solution of equations like

[tex]\frac {d^2 y}{dx^2} + k^2(x) y = 0[/tex]

are approximately of the form

[tex]e^{\pm i \int^x k(x') dx'}[/itex]

I'm being a little sloppy here but you can read more here http://www.du.edu/~jcalvert/phys/wkb.htm (and in lots of other places including your textbook!)

I thought that this is the form of the SE...[tex]\frac {d^2 y}{dx^2} + V(x) y = E y[/tex]

So subbing in [tex]\beta x y[/tex] for the potential, I think the signs are rigt.
I just don' t see how to get
[tex]\frac {d^2 y}{dx^2} + k^2\left(1-\frac {\beta x}{E_0}\right) y = 0[/tex] :confused:

Also what is the k that goes in your integral? Shouldn 't it be
[tex]\beta x y[/tex] - E ?

No, you have the signs reversed on the E and V terms in the Schrodinger equation. I used [itex]k^2 = \frac {2m}{\hbar^2}(E - V)[/itex]

Related to Finding Exact and WKB Wavefunction for V(x) in E=10 Situation

1. How can I find the exact wavefunction for a given potential energy function?

To find the exact wavefunction for a given potential energy function, you can use mathematical techniques such as solving the Schrödinger equation or using the variational method. These methods allow you to calculate the wavefunction for a specific energy level, in this case, E=10.

2. What is the WKB approximation and how is it used to find the wavefunction?

The WKB (Wentzel-Kramers-Brillouin) approximation is a semi-classical method for approximating the wavefunction of a quantum system. It involves using classical mechanics to find the turning points of the system and then solving the Schrödinger equation in between these points. This method is useful for finding approximate solutions for higher energy levels when the exact solutions are difficult to obtain.

3. Can the exact and WKB wavefunctions be used interchangeably?

No, the exact and WKB wavefunctions are different mathematical representations of the same physical system. The exact wavefunction is a precise solution to the Schrödinger equation, while the WKB wavefunction is an approximation. Therefore, they cannot be used interchangeably, but the WKB wavefunction can be a good approximation for certain situations.

4. What are the limitations of using the WKB method to find the wavefunction?

The WKB method has limitations when applied to systems with complex potential energy functions or when the energy level is close to the classical turning points. In these cases, the WKB approximation may not accurately represent the true wavefunction of the system. Additionally, the WKB method only provides approximate solutions and cannot give the exact wavefunction.

5. How does the potential energy function affect the shape of the wavefunction?

The potential energy function determines the shape of the wavefunction. In regions where the potential energy is high, the wavefunction is more likely to be close to zero, while in regions with lower potential energy, the wavefunction will have a higher amplitude. The potential energy function also determines the energy levels that are allowed for the system, which in turn affects the wavelength and frequency of the wavefunction.