Finding Exponential Fourier Series for a Periodic Signal

In summary: This would give you the equivalent series:$$x(t)=2+\frac 12 \left[e^{j(t+45^\circ)}+e^{-j(t+45^\circ)}\right]+2\left[e^{j(3t)}+e^{-j(3t)}\right]-j\left[e^{j(4t+30^\circ)}-e^{-j(4t+30^\circ)}\right].$$In summary, to find the exponential Fourier series for the given periodic signal, we first find the least common multiple of the periods to determine the fundamental frequency, which is 1 rad/s. Then, using Euler's formula, we convert the cos and sin terms to complex exponentials
VinnyCee

Homework Statement

For the periodic signal

[tex]x(t)\,=\,2\,+\,\frac{1}{2}\,cos\left(t\,+\,45^{\circ}\right)\,+\,2\,cos\left(3\,t\right)\,-\,2\,sin\left(4\,t\,+\,30^{\circ}\right)[/tex]

Find the exponential Fourier series.

Homework Equations

Euler’s Formula
[tex]x(t)\,=\,A\,cos\left(\omega_0\,t\,+\,\phi\right)\,=\,A\,\left[e^{j\,\left(\omega_0\,t\,+\,\phi\right)}\,+\, e^{-j\,\left(\omega_0\,t\,+\,\phi\right)}\right][/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

To get [itex]\omega_0[/itex], we need to find the least common denominator between the following periods…

[tex]\frac{2\,\pi}{3},\,2\,\pi,\,\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]

Which is [itex]2\,\pi[/itex].So, now I use the formula [itex]\omega_0\,=\,\frac{2\,\pi}{T}[/itex]…

[tex]\omega_0\,=\,\frac{2\,\pi}{2\,\pi}\,=\,1[/tex]Now, I use Euler’s formula to convert the cos and sin to exponentials…

[tex]x(t)\,=\,2\,+\,\frac{1}{2}\,\left[e^{j\left(t\,+\,45^{\circ}\right)}\,+\,e^{-j\left(t\,+\,45^{\circ}\right)\right]\,+\,2\,\left[e^{j\left(3\,t\right)}\,+\,e^{-j\left(3\,t\right)}\right]\,-\,2\left[e^{j\left(4\,t\,-\,60^{\circ}\right)}\,+\,e^{-j\left(4\,t\,-\,60^{\circ}\right)}\right][/tex]

I don’t know if the last term (sin) is supposed to be kept as [tex]4\,t\,+\,30^{\circ}[/tex]

OR changed to a cosine to fit Euler’s formula by subtracting ninety degrees: [tex]4\,t\,-\,60^{\circ} [/tex]I assumed the latter, is that correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
VinnyCee said:
To get [itex]\omega_0[/itex], we need to find the least common denominator between the following periods…

[tex]\frac{2\,\pi}{3},\,2\,\pi,\,\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]

Which is [itex]2\,\pi[/itex].

So, now I use the formula [itex]\omega_0\,=\,\frac{2\,\pi}{T}[/itex]…

[tex]\omega_0\,=\,\frac{2\,\pi}{2\,\pi}\,=\,1[/tex]
I think you meant "least common multiple."

Anyway, your approach seems unnecessarily complicated. Other than the constant term, the Fourier series has terms of the form ##\cos n\omega_0 t## and ##\sin n\omega_0 t##. You can see, by inspection, that ##\omega_0=1~\rm rad/s## for the signal you were given.

VinnyCee said:
Now, I use Euler’s formula to convert the cos and sin to exponentials…
[tex]x(t)=2+\frac 12 \left[e^{j(t+45^\circ)}+e^{-j(t+45^\circ)}\right]+2\left[e^{j(3t)}+e^{-j(3t)}\right]-2\left[e^{j(4t-60^\circ)}+e^{-j(4t-60^\circ)}\right][/tex]I don’t know if the last term (sin) is supposed to be kept as ##4t+30^\circ## OR changed to a cosine to fit Euler’s formula by subtracting ninety degrees: ##4t-60^\circ##. I assumed the latter. Is that correct?
Yes, that's correct.

Alternatively, you could use the expression for sine in terms of complex exponentials:
$$\sin \theta = \frac{e^{j\theta}-e^{-j\theta}}{2j}.$$

FAQ: Finding Exponential Fourier Series for a Periodic Signal

What is a periodic signal?

A periodic signal is a signal that repeats itself after a certain amount of time, known as a period. This means that the signal will have the same shape and amplitude at regular intervals.

What is the Fourier series?

The Fourier series is a mathematical tool used to represent a periodic signal as a sum of sinusoidal functions with different frequencies and amplitudes. It allows us to break down a complex signal into simpler components.

What is an exponential Fourier series?

An exponential Fourier series is a form of the Fourier series where the sinusoidal functions are replaced with complex exponential functions. This makes it easier to work with certain types of periodic signals, such as those with sharp changes or discontinuities.

How do you find the exponential Fourier series for a periodic signal?

To find the exponential Fourier series for a periodic signal, you first need to calculate the period of the signal. Then, you can use the formula for the coefficients of the series, which involves integrating the signal over one period. The coefficients can then be used to write the series as a sum of complex exponential functions.

What is the significance of finding the exponential Fourier series for a periodic signal?

Finding the exponential Fourier series for a periodic signal allows us to accurately represent the signal using a finite number of terms. This can be useful in many applications, such as signal processing, communications, and control systems. It also helps us understand the frequency content of the signal and how different components contribute to its overall shape.