Finding expression for mass with tension, gravity and point charges

In summary: L, d, and g?In summary, the problem involves two charged spheres suspended by a massless thread at equilibrium. The first sphere has a charge of q and mass m, while the second sphere has a charge of 2q and mass M. The distance between the two spheres is d, and the thread makes an angle (theta) with the vertical. The summary then goes on to discuss finding an expression for the mass of the first sphere in terms of q, L, theta, d, g, and k (Coulomb constant), and an expression for the tension in the thread. The solution involves using the distance between the spheres to find the force of repulsion on q
wildredhead

Homework Statement

A small sphere carrying a charge of q with mass m is suspended from point A by a massless thread of length L, as shown in the figure. A second sphere carrying a charge of 2q with mass M is suspended from a fixed rod from point B. The distance between A and B is equal to d. At equilibrium the two spheres lie in the same horizontal plane and the thread makes an angle (theta) with the vertical.

a.) draw a free body diagram for the sphere suspended from point A.
b.) find an expression for the mass m in terms of q, L, theta, d ,g (gravitation acceleration), and k( Coulumb constant)
c. Find an espression for the tension T in the tread

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My free body diagram consits of three forces: Fg pointing directly down from the sphere, Fe pointing directly left from the sphere. The problem doresn't have any negative charges so i figured they would be repeling therefore pointing left away from 2q. and I have Ft on L pointing upwards.

I have no idea how to approach the expression for mass. I was thinking that all the forces acting on the system would equal 0, but I don't know how to incorporate that into anything.

For c I did some searching online. So now I know the vertical component of tension to be equal to Fg. Fx then, would be equal to Fg(tangent(theta)) So Ft = Fg(tan(theta)) + Fg?

Attachments

• physic problem 1.jpg
    physic problem 1.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 464
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi wildredhead, welcome to PF.
In the equilibrium position, what is the distance between the two charged spheres?
Once you know this distance, find the force of repulsion F on q.
Equate this force with one component of T. Equate the other component of T with mg.

rl.bhat said:
Hi wildredhead, welcome to PF.
In the equilibrium position, what is the distance between the two charged spheres?
Once you know this distance, find the force of repulsion F on q.
Equate this force with one component of T. Equate the other component of T with mg.

the distance between the spheres would be something like the Lsin(theta) + d. Right? I use this in the Fe calculation... Fe= kq2q/Lsin(theta) +d. So I then use that as my x component for my tension force. Then the expression for mass is just g/F =M? I totally should have taken physics 2 right after physics 1 and not wait a semester.

"kq2q/Lsin(theta) +d"
This should be
kq2q/(Lsin(theta) +d)^2
Next T*sinθ = Fe
T*cosθ = mg.
Now solve for m and T. Mass M does not come into picture.

Hey guys I have a similar problem to solve. I am stuck on the second part. I got the first part of the equation which is kq2q/lsin(thta) +d. Would we equal that to MG since F=MG? and then solve for M

Related to Finding expression for mass with tension, gravity and point charges

1. How does tension affect the expression for mass?

Tension is a force that is exerted on an object when it is pulled or stretched. In terms of finding the expression for mass with tension, tension can be considered as the force that is responsible for keeping the object in equilibrium or causing it to accelerate. Therefore, tension plays a crucial role in determining the mass of an object in this scenario.

2. What is the role of gravity in the expression for mass?

Gravity is a fundamental force that attracts objects with mass towards each other. In the context of finding the expression for mass with tension, gravity can be seen as a downward force that is pulling the object towards the ground. This force must be balanced by the tension force in order for the object to remain in equilibrium. Thus, gravity is a vital component in determining the mass of an object in this scenario.

3. How do point charges factor into the expression for mass?

Point charges, also known as electric charges, are particles that have either a positive or negative charge. In the expression for mass with tension and gravity, point charges can be seen as additional forces acting on the object. These forces may either add to or counteract the tension and gravity forces, ultimately affecting the overall mass of the object. Therefore, point charges must be taken into consideration when finding the expression for mass with tension, gravity, and other forces.

4. Can the expression for mass be applied in different scenarios?

Yes, the expression for mass with tension, gravity, and point charges can be applied in various scenarios, as long as the forces acting on the object are known and can be balanced. This expression is a fundamental principle in physics and can be used to determine the mass of objects in different situations, such as in pulley systems, pendulums, and more.

5. What are the units for the expression of mass with tension, gravity, and point charges?

The units for mass in this expression will depend on the units used for the tension, gravity, and point charges. For example, if the tension is measured in Newtons (N), gravity in meters per second squared (m/s^2), and point charges in Coulombs (C), then the units for mass will be in kilograms (kg), as per the equation F=ma. It is important to ensure that all units are consistent in order to obtain accurate results.

Back