Finding for X given half-angle formulas

• MHB
  • Thread starter bsmithysmith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formulas
In summary, if csc(x)=4 for 90º<x<180º, then the half-angle formulas can be used to find the values of sin(x/2), cos(x/2), and tan(x/2). Using the Pythagorean identity, we can determine that cos(x) is negative in the second quadrant, and therefore the values of sin(x/2) and cos(x/2) will be positive and negative, respectively. Using the tangent identity, we can also determine that tan(x/2) will be negative in this case.
bsmithysmith
If \(\displaystyle csc(x)=4\), for \(\displaystyle 90º<x<180º\)
\(\displaystyle sin\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)=\)
\(\displaystyle cos\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)=\)
\(\displaystyle tan\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)=\)

I'm definitely stumped on this one. I know that this is the half-angle formulas. Luckily we all have sheets we can use for the exam. I know that:

\(\displaystyle csc(x)=4\) is the same as \(\displaystyle sin(x)=1/4\), am I correct?

From there, I don't know if I should do a sine inverse, or plug and chug for the half-angle formulas.

\(\displaystyle sin\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)=±√(\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)(1-Cos(2x)))\)

And I don't know if I have to plug for x on both sides, or if I have to find what cosine(2x) is, or If I have to plug in the double angle formula at the end there.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are right:

\(\displaystyle \csc(x)=4\implies \sin(x)=\frac{1}{4}\)

Now, looking at the half-angle identities for sine, cosine, and tangent, we see we need to know $\cos(x)$ as well. So, we can use the Pythagorean identity:

\(\displaystyle \cos^2(x)=1-\sin^2(x)=1-\left(\frac{1}{4}\right)^2=\frac{15}{16}\)

Now, when we take the square root of both sides to get $\cos(x)$, which sign should we take on the right, given the quadrant in which $x$ is said to be?

MarkFL said:
Yes, you are right:

\(\displaystyle \csc(x)=4\implies \sin(x)=\frac{1}{4}\)

Now, looking at the half-angle identities for sine, cosine, and tangent, we see we need to know $\cos(x)$ as well. So, we can use the Pythagorean identity:

\(\displaystyle \cos^2(x)=1-\sin^2(x)=1-\left(\frac{1}{4}\right)^2=\frac{15}{16}\)

Now, when we take the square root of both sides to get $\cos(x)$, which sign should we take on the right, given the quadrant in which $x$ is said to be?

Since it's at quadrant 2, all cosine values will be negative, and sine values will be positive. I suspect it'll be the same thing for the sine value, but what about the tangent value? I have the cheat sheet available, but I'd still rather understand the process than plug and chug.

Yes, cosine is negative in the second quadrant, so since:

\(\displaystyle \cos^2(x)=\frac{15}{16}\)

we must therefore conclude that:

\(\displaystyle \cos(x)=-\frac{\sqrt{15}}{4}\)

So, now you have all you need to find the half-angled values of the primary trig. functions, using the various half-angle identities. If sine is positive, and cosine is negative, and given:

\(\displaystyle \tan(\theta)\equiv\frac{\sin(\theta)}{\cos(\theta)}\)

then what sign would you expect for the tangent function to have?

I'm sorry if I'm asking too many questions, but I'm really stuck here.

First of all, great job recognizing that csc(x)=4 is the same as sin(x)=1/4. This is a key step in solving this problem.

To use the half-angle formulas, we need to first find the value of cos(x). We can do this by using the Pythagorean identity, which states that sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1. Since we know that sin(x) = 1/4, we can substitute this value in and solve for cos(x).

sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1
(1/4)^2 + cos^2(x) = 1
1/16 + cos^2(x) = 1
cos^2(x) = 1 - 1/16
cos^2(x) = 15/16
cos(x) = ±√(15/16) = ±√15/4 = ±√15/2

Now, we can plug this value into the half-angle formulas to find the values of sin(x/2), cos(x/2), and tan(x/2).

sin\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)=±√\left(\frac{1-\cos(x)}{2}\right)
sin\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)=±√\left(\frac{1-\frac{\pm\sqrt{15}}{2}}{2}\right)
sin\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)=±√\left(\frac{2-\sqrt{15}}{4}\right)
sin\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)=±\frac{\sqrt{2-\sqrt{15}}}{2}

cos\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)=±√\left(\frac{1+\cos(x)}{2}\right)
cos\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)=±√\left(\frac{1+\frac{\pm\sqrt{15}}{2}}{2}\right)
cos\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)=±√\left(\frac{2+\sqrt{15}}{4}\right)
cos\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)=±\frac{\sqrt{2+\sqrt{15}}}{2}

tan\

Related to Finding for X given half-angle formulas

1. What are the half-angle formulas for finding X?

The half-angle formulas for finding X are:

sin(x/2) = ± √[(1-cosx)/2]

cos(x/2) = ± √[(1+cosx)/2]

tan(x/2) = ± √[(1-cosx)/(1+cosx)]

2. How do I use the half-angle formulas to find X?

To use the half-angle formulas, you first need to identify the values of sine, cosine, or tangent of x. Then, plug those values into the corresponding formula and solve for x/2. Once you have the value of x/2, you can double it to find the value of x.

3. Can the half-angle formulas be used for any angle measurement?

Yes, the half-angle formulas can be used for any angle measurement, as long as the values of sine, cosine, or tangent of x are known.

4. What are the applications of using half-angle formulas to find X?

The half-angle formulas are commonly used in trigonometry, geometry, and physics. They can help in solving problems involving angles and distances, as well as in analyzing and predicting patterns and movements.

5. Are there any other methods for finding X besides using the half-angle formulas?

Yes, there are other methods for finding X, such as using the double-angle formulas or using a calculator or computer program. However, the half-angle formulas are often preferred as they provide a simpler solution and do not require advanced technology.