Finding force of friction on mass

In summary, a student in their first year of college is seeking help with an exam review question involving a 5.0N horizontal force accelerating a 4.0kg mass at a rate of 0.50m/s^2 in the positive direction. The student is stuck on finding the friction force due to not having the coefficient. After further analysis, they realize they can use F=ma to find the friction force, resulting in a difference of 3N. The student expresses appreciation for the forum and plans to post more problems to improve their understanding of physics.
dannyboy8920
Hey, I am a student in first year of college, going through some of my exam review questions the teacher gave us to polish up on before the exam. would appreciate the help, its probably a really easy question; but I am just getting into physics...went through a bunch of differerent things.

Homework Statement

A horizontal force of 5.0N accelerates a 4.0kg mass, from rest, at a rate of 0.50m/s^2 in the positive direction. what friction force acts on the mass.

Homework Equations

I know that F(friction)=uFN, =u(ma)
where I am getting stuck is that i don't have the coefficient to find the FF

The Attempt at a Solution

I further looked, and not sure if this the right way to do it.
Im given the F of 5.0N ...do i just do F=ma, so =(4.0kg)(.50m/s^2) =2N...

Do i just find the difference in them?; so 5.0N-2.0N =3N.

Physics news on Phys.org
dannyboy8920 said:
Hey, I am a student in first year of college, going through some of my exam review questions the teacher gave us to polish up on before the exam. would appreciate the help, its probably a really easy question; but I am just getting into physics...went through a bunch of differerent things.

Homework Statement

A horizontal force of 5.0N accelerates a 4.0kg mass, from rest, at a rate of 0.50m/s^2 in the positive direction. what friction force acts on the mass.

Homework Equations

I know that F(friction)=uFN, =u(ma)
where I am getting stuck is that i don't have the coefficient to find the FF

The Attempt at a Solution

I further looked, and not sure if this the right way to do it.
Im given the F of 5.0N ...do i just do F=ma, so =(4.0kg)(.50m/s^2) =2N...

Do i just find the difference in them?; so 5.0N-2.0N =3N.
yes!

PhanthomJay said:
yes!
alllrighty...were in business..lol..
that came to me while i was writing up the problem...figured id ask if it worked...
and by the way, this is a great forum here...wish i had of known this earlier...seem to be struggling in physics, didnt take it in High school and now they gave us a first year physics class in college...only need to take one of them; but hope to get through it, cause its taking my marks down from the courses I am majoring in. I like physics; really want to learn all the concepts but seems that there getting thrown at me in bunches...
thanks for the help; i may be posting some other problems...just trying to get a better grasp on things.

Welcome to PF, and good luck in your studies!

Related to Finding force of friction on mass

1. What is the force of friction on a mass?

The force of friction on a mass is the resistance force that acts on an object when it moves along a surface or through a fluid. It opposes the motion of the object and is caused by the interaction between the object's surface and the surface it is moving on.

2. How do you calculate the force of friction on a mass?

The force of friction on a mass can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction (a value that represents the interaction between the two surfaces) by the normal force (the force exerted by the surface on the object).

3. What factors affect the force of friction on a mass?

The force of friction on a mass can be affected by factors such as the nature of the surfaces in contact, the weight of the object, and the presence of any external forces acting on the object.

4. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents an object from moving when a force is applied to it, while kinetic friction is the force that acts on an object when it is already in motion. Static friction is generally greater than kinetic friction.

5. How does the force of friction on a mass affect its motion?

The force of friction on a mass can slow down or stop the motion of the object, as it opposes the direction of the object's movement. It can also cause the object to heat up due to the energy lost through friction.