Finding Formulas for Heat Capacity

In summary, the conversation is about finding formulas for the heat capacity of several substances in the temperature range of 298K to 600K. The desired formula is typically in the form of c = A + BT + CT^-2 + DT^-3, where c is the heat capacity and T is the temperature. The person has already searched on Google but has not found the correct information and is asking for advice or recommendations for resources to find these formulas. They have also looked up values for the substances, but need the actual function for their program.
Vivamus

Homework Statement

I'm needing to write a program for thermodynamics, but before I can write the program, I need to find formulas for the heat capacity of a few substances: Al, Fe, BaTiO3, and Polyethylene. Ideally, I'm looking for equations that explain this behavior between 298K and 600K

Homework Equations

The formula I'm looking for is usually in the following form:
c = A+BT + CT-2 + DT-3

or something similar where:
c= heat capacity
T = temperature
A,B,C,D are constants

The Attempt at a Solution

I have spent some time on google, but either I'm not phrasing my search correctly or am looking in the wrong place. Does anyone have any advice on how to find these formulas? I am at a college university, so are there any good books I should check out on this matter? Thank you for any helps you can offer.

Physics news on Phys.org
rock.freak667 said:
or do you need an actual function to do it?

Unfortunately, I do need the actual function to write this program. :(

Related to Finding Formulas for Heat Capacity

What is heat capacity and why is it important?

Heat capacity is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a substance by a certain amount. It is important because it helps us understand how a substance will respond to changes in temperature and how much energy is needed to do so.

How do you calculate the heat capacity of a substance?

The heat capacity of a substance can be calculated by dividing the amount of heat energy absorbed by the change in temperature. This can be expressed as C=Q/∆T, where C is the heat capacity, Q is the heat energy, and ∆T is the change in temperature.

What factors can affect the heat capacity of a substance?

The heat capacity of a substance can be affected by several factors, including the substance's mass, composition, and phase. It can also vary with temperature, pressure, and the presence of impurities.

How can heat capacity be experimentally determined?

Heat capacity can be experimentally determined by using a calorimeter, which measures the heat exchanged between a substance and its surroundings. The change in temperature and the amount of heat energy transferred can then be used to calculate the heat capacity of the substance.

Why do different substances have different heat capacities?

The heat capacity of a substance depends on its molecular structure and the way its molecules interact with each other. Substances with more complex structures and stronger intermolecular forces tend to have higher heat capacities, as more energy is required to change their temperature.