Finding frequencies and wavelengths

In summary, the person is struggling with physics homework on electromagnetic waves and is seeking help. They have provided three questions related to frequency and wavelength, and have been trying to understand the concept for hours. They are asking for guidance on the relevant equations and constants to solve the problems.
givemeknowledge
Hey! I'm struggling really badly with some physics homework, we've done nothing on this stuff in class and I can't find ANY help online and I'm stressing pretty bad right now so ANY help would be AMAZING!

Here's my questions...

"This question is about electromagnetic waves traveling in free space:
(a) Find the frequency of a wave where the wavelength = 1cm
(b) Find the wavelength of a wave with a frequency of 100 MHz
(c) Find the wavelength of a wave with a frequency of 300 MHz"

I assure you I have tried for HOURS to get my head around these I just can't and am desperate for some help!
Thank you SO much in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
givemeknowledge said:
Hey! I'm struggling really badly with some physics homework, we've done nothing on this stuff in class and I can't find ANY help online and I'm stressing pretty bad right now so ANY help would be AMAZING!

Here's my questions...

"This question is about electromagnetic waves traveling in free space:
(a) Find the frequency of a wave where the wavelength = 1cm
(b) Find the wavelength of a wave with a frequency of 100 MHz
(c) Find the wavelength of a wave with a frequency of 300 MHz"

I assure you I have tried for HOURS to get my head around these I just can't and am desperate for some help!
Thank you SO much in advance!
pl. show what you have done to solve the problem...
you must have read about electromagnetic waves or simply waves moving in space or a medium.
what is wavelength ?
what is called frequency of a wave?
and how the wavelength and frequency gets related -through some other constant of the wave?

+1

You appear to be missing just one equation that relates frequency, velocity and wavelength. Look it up.

Likes davenn

Related to Finding frequencies and wavelengths

1. What are frequencies and wavelengths?

Frequencies and wavelengths are physical properties of waves, such as light or sound. Frequency refers to the number of wave cycles that occur in one second, measured in Hertz (Hz). Wavelength, on the other hand, is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of a wave, and is measured in meters (m).

2. How do you find the frequency of a wave?

The frequency of a wave can be calculated by dividing the speed of the wave by its wavelength. This can be represented by the equation: frequency = speed / wavelength. The speed of light, for example, is a constant value of approximately 3 x 10^8 meters per second, so the frequency of a light wave can be determined by dividing its wavelength (in meters) by this value.

3. How are frequencies and wavelengths related?

Frequencies and wavelengths are inversely related - as the frequency of a wave increases, its wavelength decreases, and vice versa. This means that waves with higher frequencies have shorter wavelengths, while waves with lower frequencies have longer wavelengths.

4. What is the relationship between frequency and energy?

Frequency and energy are directly related - as the frequency of a wave increases, its energy also increases. This is because the energy of a wave is directly proportional to its frequency, according to the equation: energy = Planck's constant x frequency. This is known as the Planck-Einstein relation.

5. How can we measure frequencies and wavelengths in different types of waves?

The methods for measuring frequencies and wavelengths vary depending on the type of wave. For example, in sound waves, the frequency can be measured using a microphone and a frequency meter. In light waves, the frequency can be measured using a spectrometer. In radio waves, the frequency can be measured using a radio receiver. In general, specialized equipment is required to accurately measure frequencies and wavelengths in different types of waves.