Finding frictional force towing a car up a hill

In summary, a car weighing 1500kg is being towed up a hill with a cable at an angle of 28 degrees. The tension in the cable is 1900 N and the static coefficient is 0.5. The acceleration of the car is 6 m/s^2. The process for finding the frictional force on the car involves summing the forces in the x-direction and solving for the force of friction using the equation F_f = mu*N = ma. However, the numbers given in the problem do not make sense and need to be reviewed.
baird.lindsay

Homework Statement

A tow truck driver hooks up a car to tow it up the hill. The car weighs 1500kg. the cable makes an angle of28 degrees with ground. the cables tension is 1900 N . the static coefficitient is 0.5 and the acceleration is at 6/m s^2 . what is the frictional force on the car

Homework Equations

ƩF=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

using my diagram and summing the forces in the xdirection i get ƩF= Tension + Fgravity- Force of Friction= ma

1900sin28-9.8sin28-0.5N=1900 X 6 ...then I solve for N?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm assuming that you mean that the cable is parallel to the incline, and that the incline makes an angle of 28 deg with the *horizontal?* If not, can you clarify please?

Also, are you taking your x direction to be the direction parallel to the incline? If so, why does the cable tension (1900 N) have a sine factor multiplying it in your equations?

Thanks,

cepheid

cepheid said:
I'm assuming that you mean that the cable is parallel to the incline, and that the incline makes an angle of 28 deg with the *horizontal?* If not, can you clarify please?
Yes,
the cable is parallel to the incline.
Also, are you taking your x direction to be the direction parallel to the incline? If so, why does the cable tension (1900 N) have a sine factor multiplying it in your equations?

Thanks,

cepheid
yes i made mistake tension should be 1900cos28 i.e.
1900cos28-9.8sin28-0.5N=1900 X 6 ...then I solve for N?
so is that pretty much the process to solve for frictional force?

You still need to clarify and answer cepheid's questions. Check the numbers given on the problem. The values you list make no sense. If the 1500 kg car was accelerating at 6m/s/s , a net force of 9000 N is required to accelerate it at that racecar rate .

cepheid said:

Thanks,

cepheid

Yes, the incline is 28 with respect to the horizontal so 28 degrees from 0 degrees. I put my x direction to be parallel to the incline so my T vector is at 28, my N vector is at 90 degrees , frictional force is at 180. and Fg is at 270.

Therefore, to find the frictional force do I use Ff= [itex]\mu[/itex] times N= mgcostheta , therefore Ff = [itex]\mu[/itex]*1500*-9.8 cos 28 therefore my force of friction is 8490N ?

Last edited:
baird.lindsay said:
Yes, the incline is 28 with respect to the horizontal so 28 degrees from 0 degrees. I put my x direction to be parallel to the incline so my T vector is at 28, my N vector is at 90 degrees , frictional force is at 180. and Fg is at 270.

No, the normal force is not at 90 degrees (straight vertical). The word normal means "perpendicular." The normal force is a contact force that acts perpendicular to the two surfaces that are in contact. So, in this case, the normal force is perpendicular to the incline.

Same with the frictional force. The frictional force is parallel to the incline, not at 180 degrees.

baird.lindsay said:
Therefore, to find the frictional force do I use Ff= [itex]\mu[/itex] times N= mgcostheta , therefore Ff = [itex]\mu[/itex]*1500*-9.8 cos 28 therefore my force of friction is 8490N ?

This is the maximum frictional force that the surface of plane could provide to prevent the car from moving, but that's not relevant here, because the car is moving. You need to use the force balance (Newton's second law) to determine the frictonal force from the tension and net force.

BUT, as PhantomJay said above, the numbers in your problem make no sense, because a force of 9000 N is required to give the car that huge acceleration of 6 m/s^2, and the tensiion is way less than that. You need to double check your numbers.

Related to Finding frictional force towing a car up a hill

1. What is frictional force?

Frictional force is the resistance force that exists between two surfaces in contact with each other. It is caused by the microscopic roughness and irregularities of the surfaces, which creates a force that opposes motion.

2. How does frictional force affect towing a car up a hill?

When towing a car up a hill, frictional force plays a crucial role in determining the amount of force needed to overcome the resistance and move the car. The steeper the hill and the heavier the car, the greater the frictional force, which means more force is required to tow the car up the hill.

3. What factors affect the amount of frictional force when towing a car up a hill?

The amount of frictional force is affected by several factors, including the weight and size of the car, the steepness of the hill, the condition of the road surface, and the type of tires on the car. Additionally, the presence of any additional weight on the car, such as passengers or cargo, can also affect the amount of frictional force.

4. How can frictional force be reduced when towing a car up a hill?

One way to reduce frictional force when towing a car up a hill is by using a lubricant, such as oil, between the surfaces in contact. This reduces the roughness and irregularities of the surfaces, making it easier to move the car. Additionally, using tires with better traction and maintaining proper tire pressure can also help reduce frictional force.

5. What are some safety precautions to consider when towing a car up a hill?

When towing a car up a hill, it is important to consider the weight and size of the car, as well as the steepness of the hill. It is also crucial to properly secure the car to the towing vehicle and use appropriate equipment, such as a tow bar or tow dolly. Additionally, it is important to maintain a safe speed and be aware of any potential hazards on the road. It is also recommended to have someone guide the towing process to ensure safety and prevent any accidents.