Finding heat gained by water when hot metal is placed in it.

In summary: The metal will have a temperature of 98 degrees Celsius and the water will have a temperature of 26.5 degrees Celsius. At equilibrium, the temperature difference will be 6.5 degrees Celsius.
astru025

Homework Statement

A 85 gram piece of metal is heated to 98°C and placed into 200mL of water insulated at 20°C. If the equilibrium temperature is 26.50, find the heat gained by the water.

Homework Equations

200 mL = 200 g.
85 g x 98 degrees celsius x specific heat of metal = 200 g x 20 degrees celsius x 4.180 J x g x C.

The Attempt at a Solution

Not really sure how to go about this problem. Any help in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that you weren't given a specific heat for the metal. So the information about the metal is likely spurious (not required). Just look at the water.

You are told that the water was originally 20 degrees Celcius and increased to 26.5 degrees Celcius, a difference of 6.5 degrees. What is the heat is required to raise the temperature of 200 ml of water by 6.5 degrees?

So would I take 200 g x 6.5 degrees celsius x 1 cal/ g C ? I come up with 1300 cal, would this be the heat gained by the water?

Once I know the heat gained by the water how can I find the specific heat of the metal?

astru025 said:
So would I take 200 g x 6.5 degrees celsius x 1 cal/ g C ? I come up with 1300 cal, would this be the heat gained by the water?
Yes.

astru025 said:
Once I know the heat gained by the water how can I find the specific heat of the metal?

The same form of equation applies. What was the temperature change for the metal? The heat that changed the water's temperature came from the metal, so...

Specific heat is measured in cal/ g C. I have 1300 cal. which is the heat that changed the waters temperature and this heat came from the metal. So do I take 1300 cal. / 85 g. x 98 degrees celsius?

astru025 said:
Specific heat is measured in cal/ g C. I have 1300 cal. which is the heat that changed the waters temperature and this heat came from the metal. So do I take 1300 cal. / 85 g. x 98 degrees celsius?
What was the change in temperature of the metal?

I do not know that. Do I use the same equation I used to find change in temp of the water?.

astru025 said:
I do not know that. Do I use the same equation I used to find change in temp of the water?.

You know the initial temperature. At equilibrium, what will be the difference in temperature between the metal and the water?

Related to Finding heat gained by water when hot metal is placed in it.

1. What is the specific heat capacity of water?

The specific heat capacity of water is 4.186 joules per gram per degree Celsius (J/g°C).

2. How do you calculate the heat gained by water when hot metal is placed in it?

To calculate the heat gained by water, you need to use the formula Q = m x c x ΔT, where Q is the heat gained, m is the mass of the water, c is the specific heat capacity of water, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

3. How does the temperature of the water change when hot metal is placed in it?

The temperature of the water will increase because heat is transferred from the hot metal to the water, causing the water molecules to gain energy and vibrate faster, resulting in a higher temperature.

4. What factors can affect the amount of heat gained by water when hot metal is placed in it?

The amount of heat gained by water can be affected by the mass and temperature of the metal, as well as the initial temperature and mass of the water.

5. Can the heat gained by water be used to calculate the specific heat capacity of the metal?

Yes, by measuring the change in temperature of the water and using the formula Q = m x c x ΔT, the specific heat capacity of the metal can be calculated. This assumes that the heat lost by the metal is equal to the heat gained by the water.