Finding i(t) Across R3 & R2 After Switch Closure at t=0

In summary, the problem involves finding the current (i(t)) across R3 and R2 for t>0 after a switch in the circuit has been closed for a long time before opening at t=0. The relevant equations for solving this problem are the formula for di/dt for RL circuits and KVL's. The challenge lies in determining the change in time and there have been no examples or relevant information provided in lecture. The student has attempted some work but is unsure if it is correct.
vthokie11

Homework Statement

The switch in the circuit has been closed for a long time before opening at t = 0
a. Find i(t) across R3 for t>0.
b. Find i(t) across R2 for t>0.

I have attached the circuit.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The only thing I know for this problem is that when a switch has been in a certain state for a long time an inductor acts essentially like a wire (no resistance) and when the state changes the inductor has infinite resistance.

Attachments

• HW7-1.jpg
    HW7-1.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 400
Physics news on Phys.org
To solve this you need to know the formula for di/dt for RL circuits. Isn't this in your textbook or covered by lecture?

I apologize...I thought that I included the relevant equations...but this is what I know:

hw7-eq.jpg

What I don't understand is what the change in time is...I really don't know how to go about solving this problem...and I have no examples from lecture...all I have from lecture is basically the 2 equations I have included. Any help would be greatly appreciated...Thanks.

So I've done some work and this is what I've came up with...I'm not sure if this is even remotely close:

I applied KVL's around each loop

HW7-KVL.jpg

HW7-KVLeq-1.jpg

Am I even on the right track with this?

Therefore, when the switch is closed for a long time, the inductor acts like a wire and the current through R3 will be equal to the current through R2. However, without knowing the values of R3 and R2, it is not possible to accurately determine the current through each resistor. It is also important to consider any other components in the circuit and their effects on the current. Further analysis and calculations would be needed to accurately determine i(t) across R3 and R2 for t>0.

FAQ: Finding i(t) Across R3 & R2 After Switch Closure at t=0

1. What is "i(t)" in the context of this experiment?

"i(t)" refers to the current flowing through the circuit at a given time, t. It is measured in amperes (A) and represents the rate of flow of electric charge through the circuit.

2. Why is it important to find i(t) across R3 and R2 after switch closure at t=0?

This information is important in order to analyze the behavior of the circuit after the switch is closed. It allows us to understand how the current is distributed through the different resistors and how the circuit responds to the change in the circuitry.

3. How is i(t) calculated across R3 and R2 after switch closure at t=0?

To calculate i(t), we use Ohm's law, which states that the current is equal to the voltage divided by the resistance (I=V/R). We would need to know the voltage across R3 and R2, as well as the resistance values of these components.

4. What factors can affect the value of i(t) across R3 and R2 after switch closure at t=0?

The value of i(t) can be affected by the resistance values of R3 and R2, as well as the voltage across these components. It can also be affected by the overall circuit design and any other components connected to the circuit.

5. How can the experiment be modified to observe changes in i(t) across R3 and R2?

The experiment can be modified by changing the resistance values of R3 and R2, or by changing the voltage across these components. The circuit design can also be altered to include different components or variations in the circuitry.