Finding Initial Velocity in 2D Kinematics Problems

In summary, the problem involves a garden hose pointed at an angle of 25 degrees above horizontal, landing on a sunbather 4.4 m away. The hose is held 1.4 m above the ground. The goal is to find the speed at which the water leaves the nozzle. The equations for vertical and horizontal displacement can be used to solve this problem, similar to a simple projectile. However, more general advice is needed for solving problems like this and additional practice may be necessary.
fredrancour

Homework Statement

Water from a garden hose that is pointed 25 degrees above the horizontallands directly on a sunbather lying on the ground 4.4 m away in the horizontal direction. If the hose is held 1.4 m above the ground, at what speed does ithe water leave the nozzle?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am utterly clueless, however suspicious it may seem. It's summer homework, and textbooks were not designed to be used without the aid of a teacher. I'd prefer some general advice on how to do problems like this, where you are given the angle measure and displacement and must find [tex]v_0[/tex]. However, I decided using the template best I could would be a good idea.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to write out the equations for vertical displacement and horizontal displacement. Think of it as a simple projectile (a rock or something)... instead of water...

well, your advice helped me solve a similar, easier problem. thanks. I got as far as I could on this one, but I've actually got to go turn this in at the school. I'll just have to take the penalty and try to figure this one out before our first-week-of-school test.

FAQ: Finding Initial Velocity in 2D Kinematics Problems

1. What is kinematics in 2 dimensions?

Kinematics in 2 dimensions is the study of the motion of objects in two-dimensional space. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object in both the x and y directions.

2. What is the difference between kinematics in 1 dimension and 2 dimensions?

Kinematics in 1 dimension only considers motion in a straight line, while kinematics in 2 dimensions takes into account motion in both the x and y directions. This allows for a more comprehensive understanding of an object's motion.

3. How is position represented in kinematics in 2 dimensions?

In kinematics in 2 dimensions, position is represented by a vector with both magnitude and direction. This vector is often referred to as the displacement vector.

4. What is the equation for calculating velocity in kinematics in 2 dimensions?

The equation for calculating velocity in 2 dimensions is v=Δr/Δt, where v is velocity, Δr is the change in position, and Δt is the change in time. This can also be written as v=dx/dt and v=dy/dt for the x and y directions, respectively.

5. How is acceleration represented in kinematics in 2 dimensions?

Acceleration in 2 dimensions is represented by a vector with both magnitude and direction. It is often broken down into its components, ax and ay, for the x and y directions, respectively. The equation for calculating acceleration in 2 dimensions is a=Δv/Δt, where a is acceleration, Δv is the change in velocity, and Δt is the change in time.

Back