Finding Integrals of Non-Elementary Functions

In summary, the function F is continuous but is not an elementary function. The Functions \int\frac{e^{x}}{x}dx and \int\frac{1}{lnx}dx can be expressed in terms of F. Integration by parts and trigonometric substitution can be used to solve for F(x).
Gwozdzilla

Homework Statement

We know that F(x) = [itex]\int^{x}_{0}e^{e^{t}} dt[/itex] is a continuous function by FTC1, though it is not an elementary function. The Functions [itex]\int\frac{e^{x}}{x}dx[/itex] and [itex]\int\frac{1}{lnx}dx[/itex] are not elementary funtions either but they can be expressed in terms of F.

a) [itex]\int^{2}_{1}\frac{e^{x}}{x}dx[/itex]

b)[itex]\int^{3}_{2}\frac{1}{lnx}dx[/itex]

Homework Equations

I only used and u-substitution in my attempt at a solution, but I suppose integration by parts and trigonometric substitution is fair game as well.

Integration by parts: [itex]\int udv[/itex] = uv - [itex]\int vdu[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Let x = et
dx =etdx

[itex]\int\frac{e^{e^{t}}e^{t}}{e^{t}}dt[/itex]

[itex]\int^{2}_{1}e^{e^{t}} dt[/itex]

Is this answer correct? If it isn't, where did I go wrong? If it is, how do I put it in terms of F(x)?

let u = ln(x)
du = 1/x dx
xdu = dx
eudu = dx

[itex]\int\frac{e^{u}}{u}dx[/itex]

Which this is just part a again.. but am I allowed to do u substitution that way by plugging in u into my du line since it ended up being in terms of an x I didn't have to substitute with?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gwozdzilla said:

Homework Statement

We know that F(x) = [itex]\int^{x}_{0}e^{e^{t}} dt[/itex] is a continuous function by FTC1, though it is not an elementary function. The Functions [itex]\int\frac{e^{x}}{x}dx[/itex] and [itex]\int\frac{1}{lnx}dx[/itex] are not elementary funtions either but they can be expressed in terms of F.

Homework Equations

I only used and u-substitution in my attempt at a solution, but I suppose integration by parts and trigonometric substitution is fair game as well.

Let x = et
dx =etdx

[itex]\int\frac{e^{e^{t}}e^{t}}{e^{t}}dt[/itex]

[itex]\int^{2}_{1}e^{e^{t}} dt[/itex]

Is this answer correct? If it isn't, where did I go wrong? If it is, how do I put it in terms of F(x)?

Your limits on the last integral are incorrect; those are the ##x## limits. You need the new ##t## limits that correspond to them.

Once you have any integral of the form ##\int_a^b e^{e^t}~dt## you should be able to write it as ##F(b) - F(a)##. Do you see why?

So to find the correct variables...

2 = et
ln(2) = t
and
1 = et
ln(1) = t = 0

[itex]\int^{ln(2)}_{0}e^{e^{t}} dt[/itex]

and the final answer would be F(ln2) - F(0) because FTC1 says

F(x) = [itex]\int^{b}_{a}f(x) dx[/itex] = F(b) - F(a)

Right?

Gwozdzilla said:
So to find the correct variables...

2 = et
ln(2) = t
and
1 = et
ln(1) = t = 0

[itex]\int^{ln(2)}_{0}e^{e^{t}} dt[/itex]

and the final answer would be F(ln2) - F(0)

and what is F(0)?

because FTC1 says

F(x) = [itex]\int^{b}_{a}f(x) dx[/itex] = F(b) - F(a)

Right?

Yes and no. How can you have x on the left and no x on the right?

I'm not sure what F(0) is. I feel inclined to say that F(0) = e, but that's without evaluating [itex]\int e^{e^{t}}[/itex]. But I don't know how to evaluate that integral. Do you want me to try to evaluate it or are you looking for a different answer? I'm confused.

For your second question... x isn't on the right side of that equation because a and b are being plugged in for x? I'm confused here too.

Gwozdzilla said:
I'm not sure what F(0) is. I feel inclined to say that F(0) = e, but that's without evaluating [itex]\int e^{e^{t}}[/itex]. But I don't know how to evaluate that integral. Do you want me to try to evaluate it or are you looking for a different answer? I'm confused.

##F(x) = \int_0^x e^{e^t}~dt##. What do you get if you put ##x=0##?

For your second question... x isn't on the right side of that equation because a and b are being plugged in for x? I'm confused here too.

With that definition of ##F(x)## does it work out that ##F(b)-F(a) = \int_a^be^{e^t}~dt##?

If x = 0, then we're taking the integral from 0 to 0, which would have to be 0. Right?

Does F(b) - F(a) = [itex]\int^{b}_{a} e^{e^{t}} dx[/itex]? I don't see why not..

Is it supposed to be F(b)F'(b) - F(a)F'(a)? I know that happens every now and then, but I'm pretty sure that's only for the case in which I'm looking for the derivative of F(x).

Gwozdzilla said:
If x = 0, then we're taking the integral from 0 to 0, [STRIKE]which would have to be[/STRIKE] so F(0)= 0. Right?

Yes.

Does F(b) - F(a) = [itex]\int^{b}_{a} e^{e^{t}} dx[/itex]? I don't see why not..

That's not much of an answer. Do the calculation. Use the formula for ##F(x)## to write down ##F(b)## and ##F(a)## and work it out.

Gwozdzilla said:
If x = 0, then we're taking the integral from 0 to 0, which would have to be 0. Right?

Yes, that is correct. What LCKurtz was objecting to before, when you wrote
[tex]F(x)= \int_a^b e^{e^t} dt= F(b)- F(a)[/tex]
was the "F(x)= " on the left. There is NO "x" in [itex]\int_a^b e^{e^t} dt= F(b)- F(a)[/itex] so it cannot be any function of x.

Gwozdzilla said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Let x = et
dx =etdx

Watch out, on the right side of the last equation you should have [itex] e^t dt [/itex], not [itex] e^t dx [/itex]

FAQ: Finding Integrals of Non-Elementary Functions

What is the definition of a non-elementary function?

A non-elementary function is a mathematical function that cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions such as polynomials, exponential functions, logarithmic functions, and trigonometric functions.

Why is it difficult to find integrals of non-elementary functions?

It is difficult to find integrals of non-elementary functions because there is no set method or formula for solving them. Each non-elementary function requires a unique approach and may involve complex techniques such as substitution or integration by parts.

What techniques can be used to find integrals of non-elementary functions?

Some techniques that can be used to find integrals of non-elementary functions include substitution, integration by parts, partial fractions, trigonometric substitutions, and numerical integration methods.

Are there any non-elementary functions that can be integrated using elementary functions?

Yes, some non-elementary functions can be integrated using elementary functions. For example, the integral of the error function, which is a non-elementary function, can be expressed in terms of elementary functions. However, this is not always the case, and many non-elementary functions have no elementary antiderivative.

Why are integrals of non-elementary functions important in science?

Integrals of non-elementary functions are important in science because they allow us to solve complex problems and better understand real-world phenomena. Many physical laws and equations involve non-elementary functions, and finding their integrals is crucial for making accurate calculations and predictions.