Finding Intercepts of an Equation

• Thread starter Drakkith
  • Start date
In summary, to find the intercepts of a given equation, set one variable equal to zero and solve for the other variable. In the case of the given equation, setting y=0 gave us the x-intercept of x=0, and setting x=0 gave us the y-intercept of y=0.
Drakkith
Mentor

Homework Statement

Find the intercepts of the following equation: [itex]y=\frac{-x^3}{x^2-9}[/itex]

Homework Equations

To find the X-Intercept, set Y equal to zero and solve.
To find the Y-Intercept, set X equal to zero and solve.

The Attempt at a Solution

Setting Y equal to zero gives me: [itex] 0=\frac{-x^3}{x^2-9}[/itex]
This simplifies to: [itex] 0=\frac{-x^3}{(x+3)(x-3)}[/itex]

And now I'm stuck. :rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
The first thing you should remind yourself of is that we can't divide by 0. Clearly since the denominator is

[tex]x^2-9=(x-3)(x+3)[/tex]

and this quadratic is equal to 0 when [itex]x=\pm 3[/itex] hence our original equation does not exist at those x values.

So now, we consider when x is any other value.

If we have some fraction a/b for any numbers a and b where b is anything except 0, then when is this fraction equal to 0?

Mentallic said:
If we have some fraction a/b for any numbers a and b where b is anything except 0, then when is this fraction equal to 0?

Never?

What does 0/5 equal to? 0/100? 0/k? for any k that isn't 0?

Either zero or undefined. I'm guessing zero?

Okay, I looked it up and it's definitely zero.

Drakkith said:
Okay, I looked it up and it's definitely zero.
Yes, definitely. Zero divided by any nonzero number is zero.

Mark44 said:
Yes, definitely. Zero divided by any nonzero number is zero.

Yeah, I feel bad that I had to go look that up. I guess it's been a while since I did math. :frown:

Drakkith said:
Yeah, I feel bad that I had to go look that up. I guess it's been a while since I did math. :frown:

It's ok, that's what we're here for! :smile:

So you can look at this problem in two ways, either notice that a fraction of the form a/b is equal to zero when the numerator is equal to 0, so in your equation

[tex]y=\frac{-x^3}{x^2-9}[/tex]

To find when y=0, i.e. to solve

[tex]0=\frac{-x^3}{x^2-9}[/tex]

we just need to find when the numerator -x3=0.

Or the other way, simply multiply both sides of the equation by the denominator of the fraction.

[tex]0\times (x^2-9) = \frac{-x^3}{x^2-9}\times (x^2-9)[/tex]

Now on the RHS we can cancel the factor of x2-9 in both the numerator and denominator to end up with just -x^3, and on the LHS, 0 times anything is still 0, so of course again we end up solving 0=-x3.

Hmmm. The only thing I can think of that makes -x3 zero is x = 0.

So that would make the X intercept zero then, correct?

Drakkith said:
Hmmm. The only thing I can think of that makes -x3 zero is x = 0.

So that would make the X intercept zero then, correct?

Yes and yes.

Okay, then if we set X = 0 to find the Y intercept: Y=0/-9, which would make Y=0.

So the intercepts are (0,0)?

Yes, but I wouldn't call it two intercepts :wink:

Just a little extra in case you're curious:
We didn't even need to check x=0 (the intercept of the y-axis) because we already have from the x-axis intercept that (0,0) is satisfied.

The alternative doesn't always suffice though. If we first checked x=0 (the y-axis intercept) and found y=0 satisfied this, we would still need to solve for y=0 because we could possibly have more solutions for x such as in the case of quadratics.

Now, the reason why we wouldn't need to check x=0 (as opposed needing to check y=0) is because y is a function of x. Functions have a very important property that for every x-value, there is only ever one y-value, so when we found that for x=0, y=0, we couldn't possibly have another value for y given x=0, so we didn't need to test x=0.

Mentallic said:
Just a little extra in case you're curious:
We didn't even need to check x=0 (the intercept of the y-axis) because we already have from the x-axis intercept that (0,0) is satisfied.

Interesting. I didn't even realize that having the X-intercept as 0 meant that we also had the Y intercept. Makes sense. Thanks, Mentallic!

Related to Finding Intercepts of an Equation

What is an intercept of an equation?

An intercept of an equation is a point where the graph of the equation intersects with either the x-axis or the y-axis. It is a solution to the equation where one of the variables is equal to zero.

How do you find the x-intercept of an equation?

To find the x-intercept, set y=0 in the equation and solve for x. This will give you the x-coordinate of the point where the graph intersects with the x-axis.

How do you find the y-intercept of an equation?

To find the y-intercept, set x=0 in the equation and solve for y. This will give you the y-coordinate of the point where the graph intersects with the y-axis.

Why are intercepts important in graphing an equation?

Intercepts help in graphing an equation because they give us two points on the graph that we can plot and connect with a line. They also give us information about the behavior of the graph near the axes.

Can an equation have more than one intercept?

Yes, an equation can have multiple intercepts. This can happen when the equation has multiple solutions where one of the variables is equal to zero. Each intercept represents a point where the graph intersects with either the x-axis or the y-axis.

Back