Finding internal energy change in a adiabatic compression process.

In summary, in this conversation, the topic of discussion is the change in internal energy of an ideal gas that is compressed adiabatically and has 200 J of work done over it. The options given are A) 200 J, B) 100 J, C) -200 J, and D) 0 J. The suggested formula to solve this problem is the First Law of Thermodynamics, which states that when work is applied from the outside, energy is added to the system. Therefore, the correct answer would be 200 J. It is also mentioned that the First Law of Thermodynamics may not be applicable in cases where work is supplied from the outside.
tralelale1234
Can you help me with this problem?

An ideal gas is compressed adiabatically. The work done over it is 200 J.
How much will the internal energy change?

A) 200 J
B) 100 J
C) -200 J
D) 0 J

Which formula do you use to solve it?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try the First Law of Thermodynamics.

But in this case work is applied to the system from the outside.
So this means that energy is added to the system and the correct answer would be 200 J?
Correct me if I'm wrong.

What does the First Law of Thermodynamics say? Is it inapplicable when work is supplied from the outside?

Sure, I would be happy to help with this problem. To find the internal energy change in an adiabatic compression process, we can use the formula ΔU = W, where ΔU is the change in internal energy and W is the work done on the gas. In this case, since the work done is given as 200 J, the internal energy change would also be 200 J (option A). This is because in an adiabatic process, there is no transfer of heat, so all of the work done is converted into internal energy. I hope this helps!

Related to Finding internal energy change in a adiabatic compression process.

1. What is the definition of internal energy?

Internal energy is the total energy stored in a system due to the motion and interactions of its particles.

2. How is internal energy measured?

Internal energy is measured in joules (J) using a calorimeter, which is a device that measures the heat exchange between a system and its surroundings.

3. What is an adiabatic compression process?

An adiabatic compression process is a thermodynamic process in which no heat is exchanged between a system and its surroundings. This means that the internal energy of the system does not change.

4. How do you calculate the change in internal energy during an adiabatic compression process?

The change in internal energy during an adiabatic compression process can be calculated using the equation ΔU = -W, where ΔU is the change in internal energy and W is the work done on the system.

5. What factors affect the change in internal energy during an adiabatic compression process?

The change in internal energy during an adiabatic compression process is affected by the initial and final volumes of the system, the pressure of the system, and the work done on the system. Additionally, the type of gas and its specific heat capacity can also affect the change in internal energy.