Finding intervals of increasing, decreasing, concavity and inflection points

In summary: To find the inflection points, you need to look at the second derivative and set that equal to zero, which will give you the points where the curve changes from concave up to concave down or vice versa.
ryan.1015

Homework Statement

let g(x)=2x^5-10x^3=15x-3. find the intervals on which G is increasing and decreasing. and find the intervals of concavity and the inflection points

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i know how to find the increasing and decreasing intervals. i just can't figure out where the graphs cross the x axis. and the concavity intervals i can't figure out

Physics news on Phys.org
well i found the derivative to be 10x^4 +30x^2+15 but when i graphed it i couldt figure out where it crossed the x axis

ryan.1015 said:
well i found the derivative to be 10x^4 +30x^2+15 but when i graphed it i couldt figure out where it crossed the x axis

Here's what you showed in your first post:
g(x)=2x^5-10x^3=15x-3.

What's with that '=' right after the x^3 term? Did you mean that to be a '+'?

Assuming that's the case, g(x) = 2x^5 - 10x^3 + 15x -3
Your calculation for the derivative -- g'(x) is its name -- is incorrect.

I think from equating first derivative to zero u can easily find the point where no change occurs and beyond that it go on changing. and from 2nd derivative u can find the inflection points. Am I correct?

ElectroPhysics said:
I think from equating first derivative to zero u can easily find the point where no change occurs and beyond that it go on changing. and from 2nd derivative u can find the inflection points. Am I correct?

Equating the derivative to zero gives you the values where the tangent lines are horizontal, which can help you find local maxima and minima.

Related to Finding intervals of increasing, decreasing, concavity and inflection points

What is the purpose of finding intervals of increasing, decreasing, concavity and inflection points?

The purpose of finding these intervals is to understand the behavior and shape of a function. By identifying where a function is increasing or decreasing, we can determine the direction of change. Similarly, identifying concavity and inflection points can help us understand the curvature of a function and where it changes from being concave up to concave down or vice versa.

How do I find intervals of increasing and decreasing for a given function?

To find intervals of increasing and decreasing, you need to take the derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. Then, solve for the variable to find the critical points. The intervals between these critical points will be where the function is increasing or decreasing.

What are concavity and inflection points?

Concavity refers to the curvature of a function. A function can be concave up, where it curves upward like a cup, or concave down, where it curves downward like a frown. Inflection points are points where the concavity of a function changes, from concave up to concave down or vice versa.

How do I find intervals of concavity and inflection points?

To find intervals of concavity and inflection points, you need to take the second derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. Then, solve for the variable to find the inflection points. The intervals between these points will be where the concavity changes.

Why is it important to find intervals of increasing, decreasing, concavity and inflection points?

Identifying these intervals can help us understand the overall behavior of a function, which can be useful in various applications such as optimization, curve sketching, and understanding rates of change. It also allows us to locate critical points and inflection points which can help us find the maximum and minimum values of a function.