Finding Invertible Matrices for Canonical Matrix Question

• Thread starter franky2727
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary: I3 with the same row opps giving Q-1={(1,0,0),(-2,1,0),(-3,0,1)) giving Q=(Q-1)-1 = {(1,0,0),(1/2,1,0),(1/3,0,1)same
franky2727
given A={(1,2,1),(2,4,2),(3,6,3)} findr and invertable matrices Q and P such that Q-1AP={(Ir,0),(0,0)} where each zero denotes a matrix of zeros not necessarily the same size

paying special attension to the order of the vectors write down the bases of R3 with respect to which Q-1AP represents the mapping x->Ax

i think i can do the first part getting row opps of r3-3r1 and r2-2r1 and then column opps of c2-2c1 and c3-c1 giving me {(1,0,0),(0,0,0),(0,0,0) and therefore r=1

then i do I3 with the same row opps giving Q-1={(1,0,0),(-2,1,0),(-3,0,1)) giving Q=(Q-1)-1 = {(1,0,0),(1/2,1,0),(1/3,0,1)

same with the column opps on P gives me {1.-2.-1),(0,1,0),(0,0,1)}=P

i believe this is right but have not done it in a while and may be messing up the method so a check wouldn't go a miss, also i don't know how to do the second part of the question, it looks slightly familia with the getting vectors in the right order but i can't remember where to start so help here would be aprichiated thanks. on a side note this is revision not homework so feal free to splurt it all out :P

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's not difficult to check it yourself is it?

If Q-1 and P are as you say then you want to calculate
[tex]Q^{-1}AP= \begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 & 0 \\ -2 & 1 & 0 \\ -3 & 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}1 & 2 & 1 \\ 2 & 4 & 2\\ 3 & 6 & 3\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}1 & -2 & -1 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Is that equal to
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex]?

Last edited by a moderator:
ah ye, silly me, what about the second part? no ideas where to start there

franky2727 said:
paying special attension to the order of the vectors write down the bases of R3 with respect to which Q-1AP represents the mapping x->Ax

how is this done or even started?

what does this " with respect to which Q-1AP represents the mapping x-> Ax mean?

Related to Finding Invertible Matrices for Canonical Matrix Question

1. What is a canonical matrix?

A canonical matrix is a square matrix in which all the elements outside the main diagonal are zero, and all the elements on the main diagonal are equal to 1. It is also known as an identity matrix.

2. How is a canonical matrix different from a diagonal matrix?

A diagonal matrix can have non-zero elements on the main diagonal, while a canonical matrix only has 1s on the main diagonal. Additionally, a canonical matrix is always a square matrix, while a diagonal matrix can be rectangular.

3. What are the properties of a canonical matrix?

Some properties of a canonical matrix include: it is its own inverse, it is a symmetric matrix, and it is a scalar multiple of itself.

4. What is the importance of canonical matrices in linear algebra?

Canonical matrices are important in linear algebra because they serve as an identity element for matrix multiplication. They also have special properties that make them useful in solving linear systems of equations and in finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

5. How do you create a canonical matrix?

To create a canonical matrix, start with a square matrix with all zeros. Then, replace the elements on the main diagonal with 1s. This can also be done using an identity matrix, which is a canonical matrix by definition.