Finding Jordan Normal Form for a 3x3 Matrix

In summary: Since (M+3I)0= 0 certainly, look for a vector such that (M+ 3I)v= [2, -1, 1]. Then you will have (M+ 3I)^2v= (M+ 3I)[2, -1, 1]= 0. Once you have found that v, look for w such that (M+ 3I)w= v.Thanks for your replies!
springo

Homework Statement

Find the Jordan normal form of:
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}
-2 & 3 & 1\\
0 & -4 & -1\\
1 & 2 & -3
\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the eigenvalues: -3 (x3)
I found a single eigenvector: [ 2 , -1 , 1 ]
But now I thought of finding the nullspaces of (M + 3I)2 and (M + 3I)3 (where is the matrix we're studying) but they're empty.

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You've already shown that the nullspace of (M+3I) is not empty since you have an eigenvalue of -3. Then how can the nullspaces of (M+3I)^2 and (M+3I)^3 be empty?? That would be silly. In fact, (M+3I)^3=0 since it satisfies it's characteristic polynomial. I suggest you try that calculation again.

Last edited:
Since -3 is a triple root, the characteristic equation must be (M+ 3)^3= 0. And, since every matrix satisfies its own characteristic equation, (M+ 3I)^3v= 0 for every vector v.
There must exist vectors, u, such that Mu= 3u and you have found one. Since the eigenvectors do not span the space, there must exist vectors, v, such that Mv is NOT 0 but [itex](M+ 3I)^2 u= 0[/itex]. Since (M+3I)0= 0 certainly, look for a vector such that (M+ 3I)v= [2, -1, 1]. Then you will have [itex](M+ 3I)^2v= (M+ 3I)[2, -1, 1]= 0[/itex]. Once you have found that v, look for w such that [itex](M+ 3I)w= v[/itex].

Thanks for your replies!

Oh, this is bad. I was using Mathematica for my calculations, it turns out using 2 doesn't do a real matrix multiplication, it does a dot product or something similar. My bad...

Now I took as eigenvectors:
- (M + 3I)2 : [ 1 , 0 , 1 ]
- (M + 3I)3 : [ 0 , 0 , 1 ]
So that:
[tex]P=\begin{bmatrix}
2 & 1 & 0\\
-1 & 0 & 0\\
1 & 1 & 1
\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

But doing P·J·P-1 ≠ M
However taking [ 1 , 0 , 0 ] instead of [ 0 , 0 , 1 ] works, why is that?

Bump for help! :)

springo said:
Bump for help! :)

I'm really not sure what your are doing. What's J? (M+3I)=0. Anything is an eigenvector of that.

Dick said:
I'm really not sure what your are doing. What's J? (M+3I)=0. Anything is an eigenvector of that.

J is the Jordan normal form of M and P is the matrix so that P·J·P-1 = M.

it's not clear to me how you got [0, 0, 1]. As I said before, you want a "v" such that [tex](M+3i)^2v= [2, -1, 1][/tex]. That means you have to solve
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 3 & 1 \\ 0 & -1 & -1 \\ 1 & 2 & 0\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \\ z\end{bmatrix}[/tex][tex]= \begin{bmatrix}2 \\ -1 \\ 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex].
That gives the equations x+ 3y+ z= 2 -y- z= -1, and x+ 2y= 1. The second equation is the same as z= -y+ 1 and the third is the same a x= -2y+ 1. Taking y= 0 would give v= (1, 0, 1) as you have.

Now look for u such that (M+ 3I)u= v which means you must have
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 3 & 1 \\ 0 & -1 & -1 \\ 1 & 2 & 0\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \\ z\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \\ 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex].
That gives the equations x+ 3y+ z= 1, -y-z= 0. and x+ 2y= 1. The second equation is the same as z= -y and the third equation x= -2y+1. Then the first equation is satisfied for all y. If you take y= 0, you get [1, 0, 1] the same as before, but if you take y= 1, you get u= [-1, 1, -1].

Let P be the matrix having those vectors as columns,
[tex]P= \begin{bmatrix}2 & 1 & -1 \\ -1 & 0 & 1 \\ 1 & 1 & -1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
and you will find that
[tex]P^{-1}AP= \begin{bmatrix}-3 & 1 & 0 \\0 & -3 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & -3\end{bmatrix}[/tex].

The thing is I was taking for the first column of P, an eigenvector of M. For the second one, a vector that is the nullspace of (M+3I)2 but is not an eigenvector of M. For the third one, a vector that is in the nullspace of (M+3I)3 (which is R3) but not in the eigenspace of (M+3I)2. Isn't that a right thing to do?
I mean: (M+3I)3 = 0 so (M+3I)3·[ 0 , 0 , 1 ] = 0.

Last edited:

FAQ: Finding Jordan Normal Form for a 3x3 Matrix

1. What is the Jordan normal form problem?

The Jordan normal form problem is a mathematical problem that deals with the diagonalization of a square matrix. It involves finding a similarity transformation that will transform a given matrix into a specific form, known as the Jordan normal form.

2. Why is the Jordan normal form important?

The Jordan normal form is important because it simplifies the analysis and computation of complex matrices. It also provides a way to understand the behavior of linear systems and solve differential equations.

3. What is the process for finding the Jordan normal form?

The process for finding the Jordan normal form involves several steps, including finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the given matrix, computing the Jordan blocks associated with each eigenvalue, and then combining these blocks to form the Jordan normal form.

4. Can any matrix be transformed into Jordan normal form?

Yes, any square matrix with complex entries can be transformed into Jordan normal form. However, not all matrices have a unique Jordan normal form, and some may not have a Jordan normal form at all.

5. What are some applications of the Jordan normal form?

The Jordan normal form has various applications in mathematics and other fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to solve differential equations, analyze linear systems, and understand the behavior of dynamical systems.