Finding k values for non-zero solutions in integral equations?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Alone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the problem is asking for the values of k that would result in non-zero solutions for the given integral equation. To find these values, we can represent the solution as u(x) = \frac 1 k (c_1\sin(x)+c_2 \cos(x)) and substitute it into the original equation. This leads to the equation c_1 \pi/k = c_2 and c_2\pi /k= c_1, which simplifies to (pi/k)^2 = 1. Therefore, the values of k that satisfy this equation are k = \pm pi.
Alone
Hi, I have the next question from Pipkin's textbook on Integral Equations:

question 9, page 10:
Find the values of [tex]k[/tex] for which the following equation has solutions that aren't identically zero. If [tex]k\neq 0[/tex], find representative solutions:[tex]\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \sin(x+y)u(y)dy = ku(x)[/tex]

What I have done so far is the following:denote by [tex]c_1=\int \cos(y)u(y)dy,\ c_2=\int \sin(y)u(y)dy[/tex]
so we have:[tex]c_1\sin(x)+c_2 \cos(x)=ku(x)[/tex], so I found represntaive solutions, but how do I find the values of k?Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think something is missing maybe the value of u(x) at some points ?

Alan said:
Hi, I have the next question from Pipkin's textbook on Integral Equations:

question 9, page 10:
Find the values of [tex]k[/tex] for which the following equation has solutions that aren't identically zero. If [tex]k\neq 0[/tex], find representative solutions:[tex]\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \sin(x+y)u(y)dy = ku(x)[/tex]

What I have done so far is the following:denote by [tex]c_1=\int \cos(y)u(y)dy,\ c_2=\int \sin(y)u(y)dy[/tex]
so we have:[tex]c_1\sin(x)+c_2 \cos(x)=ku(x)[/tex], so I found represntaive solutions, but how do I find the values of k?Thanks in advance.

Hi Alan! :)

You have [tex]c_1\sin(x)+c_2 \cos(x)=ku(x)[/tex]
So [tex]u(x) = \frac 1 k (c_1\sin(x)+c_2 \cos(x))[/tex]
Have you tried to substitute that into your original equation?

I like Serena said:
Hi Alan! :)

You have [tex]c_1\sin(x)+c_2 \cos(x)=ku(x)[/tex]
So [tex]u(x) = \frac 1 k (c_1\sin(x)+c_2 \cos(x))[/tex]
Have you tried to substitute that into your original equation?
And then what do I get? I get the following:

$$\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}\sin(x+y)(c_1\sin y+c_2\cos y)/k dy = c_1\sin x + c_2 \cos x = ((c_1\cos x )\pi+(c_2\sin x)\pi)/k$$

How to procceed from there?

Edit:
We should have: $c_1 \pi/k = c_2 , c_2\pi /k= c_1$, which means that: $(\pi/k)^2 =1$, i.e $k=\pm \pi$.

Thanks I solved it now... :-D

Related to Finding k values for non-zero solutions in integral equations?

1. What is the process for finding k values in integral equations?

To find the k values for non-zero solutions in integral equations, you must first set up the integral equation in standard form, with the unknown variable k included. Then, you can use various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or the method of undetermined coefficients to solve for k.

2. Can k values be negative in integral equations?

Yes, k values can be negative in integral equations. The sign of k will depend on the specific equation and the constraints of the problem. It is important to check the validity of the solution for k to ensure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

3. Are there any specific techniques or strategies for finding k values?

Yes, there are various techniques and strategies for finding k values in integral equations. Some common methods include use of initial or boundary conditions, trial and error, or solving the equation using numerical methods.

4. How do I know if my k value is correct?

To determine if your k value is correct, you can plug it back into the original integral equation and see if it satisfies the equation. You can also check for any additional constraints or conditions that should be met for the solution to be valid.

5. Can I use technology to find k values in integral equations?

Yes, technology such as graphing calculators or computer programs can be used to find k values in integral equations. However, it is important to understand the process and underlying concepts involved in finding k values rather than solely relying on technology.