Finding KE when given de Broglie wavelength

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the kinetic energy of a proton with a given de Broglie wavelength. The formula for wavelength is h/mv and the formula for kinetic energy is (1/2)(m)(v^2). After plugging in the given values and using SI units, the correct answer is obtained.
vspectra
[SOLVED] Finding KE when given de Broglie wavelength

Homework Statement

What is the kinetic energy, in MeV, of a proton with a de Broglie wavelength of 10fm?
1 MeV = 10^6 eV
1 fm = 10^-15m
1 eV = 1.602 x 10^-19 J
h = 6.63 x 10^-34 Js
wavelength = 10 x 10^-15 m = 10^-5 nm
Mass proton = 1.673 x 10^-27 kg

Homework Equations

wavelength = h/mv
KE = (1/2)(m)(v^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel like I did this right, but I still got the incorrect answer and I can't seem to notice what I did wrong.

v = (6.63 x 10^-34) / (10^-5)(1.673 x 10^-27) = .03962 m/s
K = .5(1.673 x 10^-27)(.03862^2) = 1.316 x 10^-30 J = 8.2 x 10^-12 eV
= 8.2 x 10^-18 MeV

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF,
vspectra said:
v = (6.63 x 10^-34) / (10^-5)(1.673 x 10^-27) = .03962 m/s
K = .5(1.673 x 10^-27)(.03862^2) = 1.316 x 10^-30 J = 8.2 x 10^-12 eV
= 8.2 x 10^-18 MeV
Shouldn't that be 10*10-15? :wink:

Hootenanny said:
Welcome to PF,

Thanks.

Hootenanny said:
Shouldn't that be 10*10-15? :wink:

I tried that the first time I did the problem, and realized 10 x 10^-15 is in meters. Wouldn't I need the wavelength to be in nm? So it would be 1 x 10^-5 nm.

Last edited:
vspectra said:
I tried that the first time I did the problem, and realized 10 x 10^-15 is in meters. Wouldn't I need the wavelength to be in nm? So it would be 1 x 10^-5 nm.
Why would you want it in nm? If you want your output velocity to be in m/s, then all your inputs must be in SI units.

Ah, you're right, silly me. I was looking at another example which was basically the same question, and to me it looked like they converted from angstroms to nanometers for wavelength. It was actually converted to meters.

Thanks!

Hey thanks both of u :) i made the same mistake :p

Related to Finding KE when given de Broglie wavelength

1. How do I calculate kinetic energy (KE) when given a de Broglie wavelength?

The formula for calculating KE from de Broglie wavelength is KE = (h^2)/(2m*λ^2), where h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the particle, and λ is the de Broglie wavelength. Simply plug in the values and solve.

2. Can I use the de Broglie wavelength equation for any type of particle?

Yes, the de Broglie wavelength equation can be used for any type of particle, including electrons, protons, and larger particles like atoms or molecules.

3. How does the de Broglie wavelength relate to the energy of a particle?

The de Broglie wavelength is inversely proportional to the energy of a particle. This means that as the de Broglie wavelength increases, the energy of the particle decreases, and vice versa.

4. Is de Broglie wavelength related to the speed of a particle?

Yes, the de Broglie wavelength is related to the speed of a particle through the equation λ = h/mv, where v is the velocity of the particle. This means that as the speed of the particle increases, the de Broglie wavelength decreases, and vice versa.

5. Can I use the de Broglie wavelength to determine the position of a particle?

No, the de Broglie wavelength cannot be used to determine the position of a particle. It is only applicable in scenarios where the particle is moving, and it describes the wave-like behavior of particles, not their exact position.