Finding largest angle - mechanics

In summary, the two homogeneous bars AB and BC are connected with a pin at B and placed between rough vertical walls. The coefficient of static friction between each bar and the wall is 0.4. The largest angle θ for which the assembly will remain at rest is determined by using the summation of forces and moments at point B for both bars. The equations for torque balance show that the force of static friction on the left bar is Fa=Ntan(θ)+3 and on the right bar is Fb=Ntan(θ)+4. The maximum value for the force of static friction is 0.4N, so Fa<Fb≤0.4N. Solving the equations for vertical force components and torque balance
blackandyello

Homework Statement

The two homogeneous bars AB and BC are connected with a pin at B and placed between rough vertical walls. If the coefficient of static friction between each bar and the wall is 0.4, determine the largest angle θ for which the assembly will remain at rest.

http://screensnapr.com/e/vU9M3X.jpg

Homework Equations

summation of forces among horizontal
summation of forces among vertical
summation of forces - point

The Attempt at a Solution

so i use the fbd of the whole body, and take summation of forces on x axis, and i got Na = Nc (normal at point a is equal to point c). then, i take summation of forces on y axis, so thats

Fa - 6N -8N +Fb = 0 (where fa and fb are friction forces on a and b), and since fa = fb (their normals are equal), i use f = uN and yielded Na = 17.5 N.

I then take summation of moments at point B( bar of A to B) and here's eqn

(6)(300)(cos(x)) - 17.5 (600)(cos(x)) + 7(600)(sin(x)) = 0 and

the value of angle is 64 degress. the book says 10 degress. Where did I go wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The bars are not fixed together, but connected with a pin, they can turn around. Write out the conditions for equilibrium for both.
The force of friction is static, so you can not say that fa=fb. It is only true that neither of them can exceed 0.4 times the normal force. ehild

I would not like to waste this problem...

blackandyello said:
Fa - 6N -8N +Fb = 0 (where fa and fb are friction forces on a and b), and since fa = fb (their normals are equal), i use f = uN and yielded Na = 17.5 N.

The equation is correct for the resultant of all vertical components, but the forces of static friction are not the same: Fa is not equal to Fb. The force of static friction can not exceed the maximum value, so Fa, Fb ≤μN and the greater one is equal to it.

The bars can turn around B with respect to each other, so the torques must be balanced separately for both. If L is the length of the rods, the sum of torques on the left rod is

NLsinθ+6L/2 cosθ-Fa Lcosθ=0 => Ntan(θ)=Fa-3, Fa=Ntan(θ)+3

The equation for the right rod is

NLsinθ+8L/2 cosθ-Fb Lcosθ=0 => Ntan(θ)=Fb-4, Fb=Ntan(θ)+4

That means Fa<Fb≤0.4N. Taking Fb equal to 0.4N, Ntan(θ)+4=0.4N,

N(0.4-tan(θ))=4

The equation for vertical force components yields Fa+Fb=14. Plugging in Fa and Fb:

Ntan(θ)+3+Ntan(θ)+4=14 =>2N tan(θ)=7

Solve the equations in bold for θ.

ehild

Attachments

• bars.JPG
    bars.JPG
    12.7 KB · Views: 501

FAQ: Finding largest angle - mechanics

1. How do I find the largest angle in a given set of angles?

To find the largest angle in a set of angles, you will need to compare each angle to the others. Start by selecting one angle and comparing it to the rest. If it is the largest angle so far, make note of it. Then move on to the next angle and repeat the process. Once you have compared all angles, the angle that you noted as the largest will be the largest angle in the set.

2. What is the mathematical formula for finding the largest angle?

The formula for finding the largest angle in a set of angles is simply to compare each angle to the others and select the largest one.

3. Can I use a protractor to find the largest angle?

Yes, you can use a protractor to find the largest angle. Place the protractor on the angle and make sure the base of the protractor is aligned with one of the sides of the angle. Then, use the markings on the protractor to measure the angle and compare it to the other angles in the set.

4. Is it possible to have more than one largest angle in a set?

Yes, it is possible to have more than one largest angle in a set. If two or more angles have the same measure and are the largest in the set, then they are all considered the largest angles.

5. How does finding the largest angle relate to mechanics?

Finding the largest angle can be useful in mechanics when dealing with forces and vectors. The largest angle can indicate the direction of the strongest force or the direction of motion in a system. It can also help determine the overall magnitude and direction of a resultant force.