Finding LaTex Symbols: Does Not Divide & Is Not Congruent to

In summary, the conversation discusses how to code the symbols for "does not divide" and "is not congruent to" in LaTex. The symbols are represented as $$x\nmid y$$ and $$a \not\equiv b$$ respectively. The conversation also mentions using Detexify as a resource for finding symbols in LaTex.
fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2023 Award
I've tried to figure it out but did not find them:
Does anybody know how to code the symbols of "does not divide" = "not |" and "is not congruent to" = "not ≡" in LaTex?
Thanks for reading.

Physics news on Phys.org
$$x\nmid y$$
$$a \not\equiv b$$
Most (!) google hits for "latex does not divide" and "latex not congruent symbol" describe those symbols.

mfb said:
$$x\nmid y$$
$$a \not\equiv b$$
Most (!) google hits for "latex does not divide" and "latex not congruent symbol" describe those symbols.
Thank you. I've just read several pdf and the guide here. I should have found that solution by myself. :oops:

Likes fresh_42

Related to Finding LaTex Symbols: Does Not Divide & Is Not Congruent to

1. What is the meaning of "does not divide" symbol in LaTex?

The "does not divide" symbol in LaTex is represented by \not|\ or \nmid and is used to indicate that one number does not evenly divide another number. For example, 5 does not divide 11.

2. How do I use the "does not divide" symbol in my LaTex document?

To use the "does not divide" symbol in your LaTex document, you can use the command \not| or \nmid followed by a space and the number you want to indicate is not divisible. For example, 5 \not| 11 will produce 5 does not divide 11.

3. What is the symbol for "is not congruent to" in LaTex?

The symbol for "is not congruent to" in LaTex is represented by \not\equiv and is used to indicate that two numbers are not congruent. For example, 5 is not congruent to 11.

4. How do I type the "is not congruent to" symbol in LaTex?

To type the "is not congruent to" symbol in LaTex, you can use the command \not\equiv followed by a space and the numbers you want to indicate are not congruent. For example, 5 \not\equiv 11 will produce 5 is not congruent to 11.

5. Are there any other symbols in LaTex that are similar to "does not divide" and "is not congruent to"?

Yes, there are other symbols in LaTex that are similar to "does not divide" and "is not congruent to" such as \nparallel for "not parallel to" and \neq for "not equal to". These symbols follow a similar structure of \not followed by the symbol for the operation.