Finding Launch Velocity given time

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the launch velocity of a bullet that was shot up at a 90 degree angle and came back down in 1.37 seconds. The person is unsure of which formula to use and provides two options: dy = vy.t + ay.t/2 and a = (vf - vi)/2. They also mention that the time frame may not be accurate for a real bullet.
Jobeanie

Homework Statement

Hi,
So the question asks me to find the launch velocity of a bullet that was shot up at a 90 degree angle. The bullet then came back down at the same height that it was shot at in 1.37 seconds.

I'm not sure if I'm using the right formula, or even plugging the right numbers in.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the formula dy= vy.t + ay.t /2
dy = 0
vy = launch velocity
t = 0.685 (because i divided it by 2 for the max?)
and a = -9.8 m/s/s

Or would I have to use the formula a=(vf - vi)/2 ? with vf = 0 ?
Sorry, I'm really confused.

Thanks! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Jobeanie said:

Homework Statement

Hi,
So the question asks me to find the launch velocity of a bullet that was shot up at a 90 degree angle. The bullet then came back down at the same height that it was shot at in 1.37 seconds.

I'm not sure if I'm using the right formula, or even plugging the right numbers in.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the formula dy= vy.t + ay.t /2
dy = 0
vy = launch velocity
t = 0.685 (because i divided it by 2 for the max?)
and a = -9.8 m/s/s

Or would I have to use the formula a=(vf - vi)/2 ? with vf = 0 ?
Sorry, I'm really confused.

Thanks! :)

Since you took dy = 0, you were considering the tip from start, back to ground level, so you would use the whole time.
NOTE: 1.37 seconds does not mean the "bullet" went very high? Is this actually a child's toy type of gun or is that time a bit short. A bullet from a real gun is likely to take 30 - 60 seconds to come back down.

It was a fake bullet. But thank you so much! :)

FAQ: Finding Launch Velocity given time

1. How is launch velocity calculated?

The launch velocity of an object can be calculated using the formula v = gt, where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and t is the time the object spends in the air.

2. What is the unit of measurement for launch velocity?

The unit of measurement for launch velocity is meters per second (m/s).

3. Can launch velocity be negative?

Yes, launch velocity can be negative if the object is moving downwards. In this case, the velocity would be represented as a negative number.

4. Is air resistance taken into account when calculating launch velocity?

No, the formula for calculating launch velocity does not take into account air resistance. However, air resistance can affect the actual velocity of an object in flight.

5. How does launch velocity affect the trajectory of an object?

The launch velocity greatly affects the trajectory of an object. The higher the launch velocity, the longer the object will stay in the air and the farther it will travel. A lower launch velocity will result in a shorter flight time and distance traveled.