Finding Limit: $$\frac{8^x}{x^x}$$

• Thread starter anj16
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the homework statement is trying to find a solution to a equation where the limit goes to 0 as x gets very large. The attempt at a solution is to let y go to 0 as x gets very large. The problem is that the denominator is bigger than the numerator and cannot be solved using L'Hospital's rule. The solution is to take the natural log of the expression and use the rules of logs.
anj16

Homework Statement

$$\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac{8^x}{x^x}$$

Homework Equations

??

The Attempt at a Solution

let $$y=\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac{8^x}{x^x}$$
$$ln y=\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} x ln\frac{8}{x}$$

and tried l'hopital's rule but because of -∞/0 I am not able to apply that.

I tried to switch x for 1/u so that my limit goes to zero but that didn't help either.

Thank You

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Good latex ... but try it this way:
$$y=\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac{8^x}{x^x}$$

First get a feel for the expression:
Looking at it, as x gets very big, which gets bigger faster: ##8^x## or ##x^x## ?

Simon Bridge said:
Good latex ... but try it this way:
$$y=\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac{8^x}{x^x}$$

First get a feel for the expression:
Looking at it, as x gets very big, which gets bigger faster: ##8^x## or ##x^x## ?

##x^x##

Which makes the limit go to zero. Correct?
I agree to the above logic but is there no other way of showing it? The thing is if this were on a test or an exam my teacher will definitely not give me 5/5 by just saying that. So I am trying to find a way of showing that the limit goes to zero instead of just stating the above reasoning.

By the way what is latex??

Okay, I would suggest is a power tower derivation in conjunction with L'Hospital's rule.

If we derive 8x we get ln8 (ex). If we derive xx we get (ex)lnx, if we take u as equal to ex and say that u approaches infinity as x approaches infinity we end up with lim u → ∞ ln8 (u/(uln2u), if we use L'Hospital's rule again with respect to u, we get ln8 (ln2x X xln2x/ x2lnx. Which doesn't really help much. My guess would be to say that since u ln2u is always larger than u, so it approaches 0.

That Neuron said:
Okay, I would suggest is a power tower derivation in conjunction with L'Hospital's rule.

If we derive 8x we get ln8 (ex). If we derive xx we get (ex)lnx, if we take u as equal to ex and say that u approaches infinity as x approaches infinity we end up with lim u → ∞ ln8 (u/(uln2u), if we use L'Hospital's rule again with respect to u, we get ln8 (ln2x X xln2x/ x2lnx. Which doesn't really help much. My guess would be to say that since u ln2u is always larger than u, so it approaches 0.

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't see how the denominator is bigger that the numerator after you differentiate and substitute. Maybe I am just reading it wrong.

But assuming you are correct (which you most probably are) how is this anymore convincing that what simon posted.

anj16 said:
##x^x##

Which makes the limit go to zero. Correct?
I agree to the above logic but is there no other way of showing it? The thing is if this were on a test or an exam my teacher will definitely not give me 5/5 by just saying that. So I am trying to find a way of showing that the limit goes to zero instead of just stating the above reasoning.
Well you would have to do something to put that reasoning on a mathematical footing, yes.

Note: is ##x^a/y^a = (x/y)^a## any help?

By the way what is latex??
It is the way that equations are marked up.
See how the way I wrote the equations was nice-looking ... that is what latex does. It is everything inside the "$$" marks in my last post.

Simon Bridge said:
Note: is ##x^a/y^a = (x/y)^a## any help?

And that is how I took the natural log and reached the conclusion of -∞/0, but I believe l'hopital's rule cannot be applied in this situation, correct? Or are you referring to something else?

anj16 said:
And that is how I took the natural log and reached the conclusion of -∞/0, but I believe l'hopital's rule cannot be applied in this situation, correct? Or are you referring to something else?

Just take the log of the expression. Use the rules of logs. You don't even have to use l'Hopitals. Just look at it. Show what you got. And besides, the original problem in the form (8/x)^x has the form 0^∞. That's not even indeterminant.

Last edited:

FAQ: Finding Limit: $$\frac{8^x}{x^x}$$

1. What is the limit of $$\frac{8^x}{x^x}$$ as x approaches infinity?

The limit of $$\frac{8^x}{x^x}$$ as x approaches infinity is 0. This can be seen by using L'Hopital's rule or by rewriting the expression as $$\left(\frac{8}{x}\right)^x$$ and taking the limit as x approaches infinity.

2. How do you find the limit of $$\frac{8^x}{x^x}$$ as x approaches 0?

The limit of $$\frac{8^x}{x^x}$$ as x approaches 0 is undefined. This can be seen by taking the limit from the left and right sides, which will result in different values.

3. Can the limit of $$\frac{8^x}{x^x}$$ be evaluated without using L'Hopital's rule?

Yes, the limit of $$\frac{8^x}{x^x}$$ can be evaluated without using L'Hopital's rule. It can be rewritten as $$\left(\frac{8}{x}\right)^x$$ and then evaluated using the limit definition of e.

4. What happens to the value of the limit as x approaches positive infinity?

The limit of $$\frac{8^x}{x^x}$$ as x approaches positive infinity is 0. This can be seen by taking the limit as x approaches infinity.

5. How does changing the base of the exponent affect the limit of $$\frac{a^x}{x^x}$$ as x approaches infinity?

The limit of $$\frac{a^x}{x^x}$$ as x approaches infinity will still be 0, regardless of the value of a. However, the limit may approach 0 at a different rate depending on the value of a.