Finding magnitude and direction

In summary: Draw a grid on paper, with each square representing a grid point. Then use your knowledge of geometry to locate each of the vectors on the grid, and label them accordingly. Then add the fourth vector, centering it at the intersection of the gridlines for A,B,C,D. In summary, the resultant vector of the four displacement vector is 1000 meters, with direction 60 degrees north of west. The three vectors are: A=200m,S,B=300m,45° S of W,C=400m,30° E of N.
emsfavis

Homework Statement

The resultant vector of the four displacement vector A B C D is 1000m, with direction 60° N of W. The three vectors A B C are:
A=200m,S
B=300m,45° S of W
C=400m,30° E of N

a.) Find the magnitude of the fourth vector
b.) find the direction of the fourth vector

Homework Equations

m = meter

The Attempt at a Solution

can i get a help using component method

what i did was get the x and y coordinate for the 3 vectors first,

1st vector = 200 m south

x-coordinate = 0
y-coordinate = -200
End point of 1st vector = (0, -200)

2nd vector = 300 m in a direction 45° south of west

x-coordinate = 300 * sin 45° west= -300 * sin 45° = -212.1 West
y-coordinate = 300 * cos 45 south = -300 * cos 45°= -212.1 South

3rd vector = 400 m at 30° east of north.

x-coordinate = 400 * sin 30° east = +400 * sin 30° = 200 East
y-coordinate = 400 * cos 30° north = +400 * cos 30° = 346.4 North

*THEN WHAT SHOULD I DO NEXT? and also am i doing the right thing?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
emsfavis said:
C=400m,30° E of W
typo

Your method is correct.

The unknown vector has a horizontal component=
horiz comp of the sum - sum of other 3 vectors' horiz components

Same for the vertical component

You are definitely on the right track. Use the same procedure to find the x and Y components of the resultant vector. Remember that the resultant vector is the sum of vectors, A,B,C and D.

I would make a table of the x and y components of vectors A,B,C. The sum of these vectors when added to the x and y components of vector D must equal the x and y components of the resultant vector.

NascentOxygen said:
typo

Your method is correct.

The unknown vector has a horizontal component=
horiz comp of the sum - sum of other 3 vectors' horiz components

Same for the vertical component

my mistake thanks for the info, i'll post my computations of that when i get home from school later :D thanks

RTW69 said:
You are definitely on the right track. Use the same procedure to find the x and Y components of the resultant vector. Remember that the resultant vector is the sum of vectors, A,B,C and D.

I would make a table of the x and y components of vectors A,B,C. The sum of these vectors when added to the x and y components of vector D must equal the x and y components of the resultant vector.

ok sir, ill do that, ill post it later. thanks :D

Last edited:
Just want to ask if I'm doing the right thing to find vector D and what should be the direction?

*Sum of x and y coordinate

Sum of X = 0 + (-212.1) + 200 = -12.1 West

Sum of Y = -200 + (-212.1) + 346.4 = -65.7 South

*Magnitude of vector D

Magnitude of vector D = Square root of ((-12.1)^2 + (-65.7)^2) = 66.80 m

Last edited:
^ is that the magnitude and direction already? or is it not right? and i still have to do something?

^^ ... ok my mistake on the last 2 posts. hmm.. I am really having trouble trying to get D. can someone help me

emsfavis said:
Just want to ask if I'm doing the right thing to find vector D and what should be the direction?

*Sum of x and y coordinate

Sum of X = 0 + (-212.1) + 200 = -12.1 West

Sum of Y = -200 + (-212.1) + 346.4 = -65.7 South

*Magnitude of vector D

Magnitude of vector D = Square root of ((-12.1)^2 + (-65.7)^2) = 66.80 m
Right so far.

Sometimes it's easier to think in terms of addition, rather than subtraction. So write:

Horiz components of 3 vectors + horiz comp of 4th = horiz comp of total

Same for the vertical components.

In addition, you can neatly sketch the vector diagram, using a ruler and protractor. Draw in the 3 vectors you are given, one at a time, graphically adding them as you go. Draw in the vector you are told is their sum. And you can pictorially see in front of you what extra vector must be drawn in so that the summation of the individual four vectors joins up to become equal to a vector ending at 1000 at 60 deg W of N.

Don't sit staring at numbers; sketch what you know. Your sketch will guide you on how to express that fourth vector. This whole question can (and should) be done on a set of x-y co-ordinates.

Related to Finding magnitude and direction

1. What is the difference between magnitude and direction?

Magnitude refers to the size or quantity of a physical quantity, while direction refers to the orientation or path of the quantity.

2. How do you find the magnitude and direction of a vector?

To find the magnitude of a vector, you can use the Pythagorean theorem (magnitude = √(x^2 + y^2)). To find the direction, you can use trigonometric functions such as tangent or inverse tangent.

3. What units are used to measure magnitude and direction?

Magnitude is typically measured in units such as meters, kilograms, or seconds, depending on the physical quantity being measured. Direction is usually measured in degrees or radians.

4. Can magnitude and direction be negative?

Yes, magnitude can be negative if the vector is pointing in the opposite direction of the chosen coordinate system. Direction can also be negative if it is measured in a clockwise direction instead of counterclockwise.

5. How do you represent magnitude and direction graphically?

Magnitude is represented by the length of the vector while direction is represented by the angle the vector makes with a reference axis. This can be shown graphically using a coordinate system or a vector diagram.