Finding magnitude of part of binary system

This is calculated by using the formula Ma-Mb = 2.512 x log(Fa/Fb), where Ma is the apparent magnitude of the brighter component and Mb is the apparent magnitude of the fainter component. In this case, the brighter component contributes twice as much visual light as the fainter component, so the equation becomes 16.73-Mb = 2.512 x log(2). Solving for Mb, we get 15.97 as the apparent magnitude of the fainter star.
elliottmarter
3. A very cool, faint white dwarf is identified as such from its spectrum and is known to have an apparent visual magnitude, mv = 16.73. A series of observations over several years yields a parallax measurement of 171±2 mas (milli-arcseconds).

(i) How far away is the white dwarf, and what must its absolute visual magnitude be?

(ii) Repeated spectroscopic observations of the white dwarf provide evidence that the white dwarf is in fact a close binary system, in which the brighter component contributes twice as much visual light as the fainter component. What would the apparent magnitude of the fainter star be, in the absence of its brighter companion?

I have done part i) but i can't do part ii) my attempt is below

My Attempt:

Ma: apparent mag of brighter star
Mb: apparent mag of dimmer star

Ma-Mb = 2.512 x log(Fa/Fb)

16.73-Mb = 2.512 x log(2) [as the brighter star is twice as bright]

Mb = 15.97

but this number is lower and so means it is brighter than the brightest star?

any help would be much appreciated TIA

Physics news on Phys.org
Part (i): The distance to the white dwarf is 5.8 parsecs, and its absolute visual magnitude must be 12.41. Part (ii):The apparent magnitude of the fainter star, in the absence of its brighter companion, would be 15.97.

Related to Finding magnitude of part of binary system

1. What is a binary system?

A binary system is a system in which two astronomical objects, such as stars or planets, orbit around a common center of mass.

2. Why is it important to find the magnitude of a part of a binary system?

Finding the magnitude of a part of a binary system can provide information about the object's brightness, distance, and other physical properties. It can also help in understanding the dynamics and evolution of the binary system.

3. How is the magnitude of a part of a binary system measured?

The magnitude of a part of a binary system is measured using various methods, such as photometry, spectroscopy, and interferometry. These techniques involve measuring the object's brightness, spectral properties, and angular separation from its companion.

4. Can the magnitude of a part of a binary system vary?

Yes, the magnitude of a part of a binary system can vary due to various factors such as orbital motion, eclipses, and changes in the object's physical properties.

5. What are some applications of finding the magnitude of a part of a binary system?

The magnitude of a part of a binary system can be used to determine the distance to the system, study the formation and evolution of binary systems, and detect exoplanets orbiting around the objects in the system.