Finding mass of ions in magnetic field

In summary, the conversation discusses using a device to measure the charge-to-mass ratio of ions by accelerating them using an electric field and then entering a uniform magnetic field. The equation m = B^2xqxr^2/2V is used to solve for the mass of the ion that enters the detector. Some algebraic manipulation is needed to arrive at this equation.
s-f
A device is used to measure the charge-to-mass ratio (e/m) of ions by accelerating them using an electric field described by a potential difference , and once they have acquired kinetic energy of known amount, they enter a uniform magnetic field. The particles move in a plane perpendicular to the magnetic field. What is the mass of the ion that enters the detector?

Strength of magnetic field = 0.8 T
d = 6.00 cm
ΔV = 100 V
Ion charge = 1.6 x 10^-19 C

I'm not really sure how to set up an equation here. I tried using qΔV = 1/2 mv2 and F = ma = qvB sin theta to solve it but I couldn't figure out how to solve for m here. Is there another formula I should use?

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems some information is missing. What is d? A sketch of the setup would help, too.

From your first equation you can write v^2 = qV/m.
In the magnetic field the path is circular so Bqv = mv^2/r
You can combine these equations to give m = B^2xqxr^2/2V
Can you see how to do that?
If d in your question is the DIAMETER of the path in the magnetic field you should be able to solve it.
Have a go and come back if you get stuck.

Sorry this is the image https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=d3e9366f37&view=att&th=138f2cfebf63fad8&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=1409394640159768576-1&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P-_1Tbsc3zXwuOtwk13kB5g&sadet=1344103689147&sads=0rBGq4MW_H8NzAdDPKWjvF6cP-g

@truesearch - No I didn't get that equation at all when I tried to do it. Can you explain how you came up with that? I know it's correct because I plugged in the variables and it came out to 4.6 x 10^-25 kg which is the correct answer.

Last edited:
The picture is inaccessible.

2012-08-04_14-03-38_594.jpg

Hopefully you can click to make it bigger. Truesearch is right that d is the diameter and that the magnetic field in the path is circular.

What is the force acting on a charge in magnetic fields? What is the acceleration in uniform circular motion?

Here is what I tried to do originally:

F = qvB = ma
Since a = v2r, qvB = m(v2r)

qΔV = 1/2 mv2, so v = sqrt (2ΔV)/m. I tried to plug this in as v for the previous equation but I must have messed up algebraically because I did not get the final equation Truesearch posted earlier.

s-f said:
Since a = v2r

This is not the correct formula for acceleration in uniform circular motion!

voko said:
This is not the correct formula for acceleration in uniform circular motion!
You're right; I typed it wrong. I was using a = v2/r though which I think it correct?

From kinetic energy, you get [itex]v^2 = \frac {2 q V} {m}[/itex]. Plug that into the [itex]F = ma[/itex] formula and you should get what you need.

Hmm I still think I'm fudging the algebra (terrible at math). I ended up getting:

m = qBr/sqrt (2qV/m) :confused:

Get rid of the root by squaring.

Still not getting m = B^2xqxr^2/2V or 4.6 x 10^-25. I ended up not getting q in my numerator which makes no sense.

You wrote [tex]m = \frac {q B r} {\sqrt {\frac {2 q V} {m}}} [/tex]

Squared, that becomes [tex]m^2 = \frac {q^2 B^2 r^2} {\frac {2 q V} {m}} = m \frac {q B^2 r^2} {2 V} [/tex]

You really should have more algebraic practice, these are very simple transformations, things can get much worse.

Ok I see, I was making a dumb mistake in the last step - thanks for explain that part.

And yeah I know I'm awful at math but this is the only physics class I need to take to finish high school and it's over in a week :) Not planning on doing physics in college!

Well done s-f
This is quite tricky algebra

FAQ: Finding mass of ions in magnetic field

1. How is the mass of ions in a magnetic field determined?

The mass of ions in a magnetic field is determined by using a mass spectrometer. This instrument separates charged particles based on their mass-to-charge ratio, allowing for precise measurement of the mass of individual ions.

2. Can the mass of ions in a magnetic field vary?

Yes, the mass of ions in a magnetic field can vary depending on the strength of the magnetic field, the charge of the ion, and the velocity of the ion. These factors can affect the path of the ion in the magnetic field and thus impact the measured mass.

3. What is the relationship between the mass of ions and the strength of the magnetic field?

The mass of ions is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field. This means that as the strength of the magnetic field increases, the mass of the ion will also increase. This relationship is important for accurately measuring the mass of ions in a magnetic field.

4. How do scientists use the mass of ions in a magnetic field in their research?

The mass of ions in a magnetic field is used in a variety of scientific research fields, including chemistry, physics, and biology. It can help identify and analyze unknown substances, determine the composition of a sample, and study the behavior of ions in different environments.

5. Are there any limitations to using a mass spectrometer to find the mass of ions in a magnetic field?

While mass spectrometers are powerful tools for measuring the mass of ions in a magnetic field, there are some limitations. For example, they may not be able to accurately differentiate between ions with very similar mass-to-charge ratios or ions with high velocities. Additionally, the sample size and composition can also impact the accuracy of the measurement.