Finding mass to resonate a system

In summary: To find the mass needed, you would calculate the natural frequency of the system and use that to figure out the mass needed.
Kubix
Homework Statement
Rotable disc with r = 0.5m and m_1 = 4kg is mounted on its center, in point O. It can freely rotate. On its side point mass is mounted(m_2), on other side spring is mounted(k=10000N/m). There is also external torque relative to point 0, M_o(t) = 10sin(20t).
Calculate at what m_2 system will resonate. Gravitation should be taken into account. Use small angle approximation - sin(θ) = θ, cos(θ)=1.
Relevant Equations
τ=Iα
τ=rF*sin(θ)
θ = Asin(20t+φ)
1resonanse.png

My first step was to calculate Torques acting on system, I found 3, one given(external):

a)torque produced by point mass:
(m2)grcos(θ)=(m2)gr

b)torque produced by spring
krsin(θ)rcos(θ)=kr2θ

c)external torque
τ_o(t)=10sin(20t)

I also calculated moments of inertia

I=m1r2+(1/2)m1∗r2

then I made differential equations
τ=Iατ=Iα
θ¨=(k(r2)θ+10sin(20t)−(m2)gr)/((m2)(r2)+(1/2)(m1)(r2))

And from now i don't know what to do next.

I have tried also substitute θ with θ = Asin(20t+φ) but still couldn't find an answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
For a given mass ##m_2## the system has a natural frequency of small oscillations. Can you find an expression for that?

Yes, it is ω0=(k/m)(1/2)

That's for a linear spring-mass system. That's not what you have here. Writing the differential equation is a good start. You don't need the driving force torque to figure out the natural frequency of the system.

Last edited:
Likes Kubix
Ok, so my differential equation is θ'' - kθ/m = (gm_2)/(rm) and general solution is x(t) = (gm_2)/(kr)+c1*e((-sqrt(k)*t)/sqrt(m))+c2*e((sqrt(k)*t)/sqrt(m)), but I'm not sure about my t=0 conditions, is it θ(0)=0 and θ'(0)=0?

Your differential equation is incorrect. The torque is restoring which means that the torque is always opposite to the angular displacement. What is the angular equivalent of ##F=-kx##?

The one-dimensional harmonic oscillator equation has one form, $$\frac{d^2(\text{something)}}{dt^2}+\omega^2{\text{(something)}}=0$$and its general solution is $$\text{something}(t)=A\sin(\omega t)+ B\cos (\omega t). $$ Can you arrange your differential equation to look like the generic form above? If so, then whatever multiplies the "something" variable in it is the frequency squared.

Likes Kubix
ok, i think, finally, i found an answer:

$$ \frac {(gm_2)} {(-w^2+(k/m))*rm}(t) = Asin(\omega_0 t)+Bcos(\omega_0 t)$$

Please give me some advice for further steps, i live in europe and I'm going to sleep right now. Thank you for your help

Last edited:
Kubix said:
ok, i think, finally, i found an answer:

$$ \frac {(gm_2)} {(-w^2+(k/m))*rm}*\theta(t) = Asin(\omega t)+Bcos(\omega t)$$

Please give me some advice for further steps, i live in europe and I'm going to sleep right now. Thank you for your help
My advice is to write the appropriate differential equation. What you have above is not a differential equation. You need to fix your first attempt,

θ¨=(k(r2)θ+10sin(20t)−(m2)gr)/((m2)(r2)+(1/2)(m1)(r2))

It is the equation you get from a free body diagram but without the driving force. After you fix it, see if you can bring it into the form shown in post #6.

Good night. By the time you wake up, I will probably be asleep so take your time thinking about your response.

Likes Kubix
ok, so when $$(1/2)m_1 + m_2 = m$$

then $$\theta ''+ \frac {k\theta} {m} = \frac {m_2 g} {mr}$$,

general solution is:

$$\theta (t) = c_1 cos( \frac {\sqrt k} {\sqrt m} t) + c_2 sin( \frac {\sqrt k} {\sqrt m} t ) + \frac {gm_2} {kr}$$can i assume that $$ \theta (0)=0$$
and $$\theta ' (0) = 0?$$So natural frequency for my system is $$ \omega = \frac {\sqrt k} {\sqrt{ (1/2)m_1 + m_2}} $$, right?

Last edited:
Right. Note that you do not need to solve the differential equation to find the natural frequency and you do not need initial conditions. The system will oscillate at its natural frequency (assuming no driving torque) regardless of when or how you start it. Please re-read post #6. In the context of that post, "something" here is ##\theta##. Whatever multiplies it in your equation is the frequency squared. Therefore $$\theta ''+ \frac {k\theta} {m} = \frac {m_2 g} {mr}~~\Rightarrow~\omega^2=\frac{k}{m}=\frac{k}{\frac{1}{2}m_1+m_2}.$$.See how easy? Now how will you find what the problem is asking?

Likes Kubix
Do i need to find amplitude A and make its denominator equal 0? Or is it enough to compare$$ \omega^2 = 20, $$
because $$ \tau_o(t) = 10sin(20t)?$$

Kubix said:
Do i need to find amplitude A and make its denominator equal 0? Or is it enough to compare$$ \omega^2 = 20, $$
because $$ \tau_o(t) = 10sin(20t)?$$
You don't need the amplitude which you cannot find anyway because you don't have the damping term.

In the expression ##10\sin(20t)## what does the "20" represent? Please remind me.

It is frequency of external torque(forced frequency): $$ \omega_e = 20 $$

Right and, when the system resonates, how is the driving frequency related to the natural frequency?

When $$\omega = \omega_e $$

Right again. How would you use this information to find what ##m_2## is needed?

Related to Finding mass to resonate a system

1. What is resonance?

Resonance is a phenomenon in which a system vibrates at its natural frequency when exposed to an external force. This results in a large amplitude of vibrations and can be observed in various systems, such as musical instruments, bridges, and electronic circuits.

2. How do you find the mass to resonate a system?

To find the mass required to resonate a system, you need to know the natural frequency of the system and the frequency of the external force. Using the formula m = F/ω^2, where m is the mass, F is the force, and ω is the angular frequency (2π times the frequency), you can calculate the mass needed to resonate the system.

3. What factors affect the resonance of a system?

The resonance of a system can be affected by various factors, including the stiffness and damping of the system, the frequency and amplitude of the external force, and the presence of any other forces or disturbances.

4. How does resonance impact the stability of a system?

In some cases, resonance can lead to instability in a system. This is because the large amplitude of vibrations can cause the system to exceed its maximum limits, leading to damage or failure. It is important to consider the potential for resonance when designing and operating systems.

5. Can resonance be beneficial in any way?

Yes, resonance can be beneficial in certain situations. For example, it is used in musical instruments to produce a desired sound, and in communication systems to amplify signals. However, it is important to control and manage resonance to prevent any negative effects on the system.