Finding maximal area of triangle.

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the point R on the unit circle where the area of the triangle PQR is maximal. The hint suggests using vectors to calculate the area and the conversation also mentions using calculus. The final suggestion is to use the determinant form to calculate the area.
KaliBanda

Homework Statement

Consider the points P(1,0) and Q(0,1) on the unit circle. For which point R(cos(theta),sin(theta)) on the unit circle, is the area of the triangle PQR maximal?

Homework Equations

Hint - It might be easier to use vectors to calculate the area of the triangle.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really not sure how to approach this question. It's part of an integration question set. A wild guess would assume cos(pi/4) and sin(pi/4) would be the co-ordinates that would give a maximal area but I'm not sure if that's right or how to prove it.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
KaliBanda said:

Homework Statement

Consider the points P(1,0) and Q(0,1) on the unit circle. For which point R(cos(theta),sin(theta)) on the unit circle, is the area of the triangle PQR maximal?

Homework Equations

Hint - It might be easier to use vectors to calculate the area of the triangle.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really not sure how to approach this question. It's part of an integration question set. A wild guess would assume cos(pi/4) and sin(pi/4) would be the co-ordinates that would give a maximal area but I'm not sure if that's right or how to prove it.

Thanks for any help.

Guesses don't count, even if they are wild. Make vectors out of two sides of the triangle and remember that the area is ##\frac 1 2|\vec A \times \vec B|##. Use a little calculus on that. You can make the third component of the vectors 0 to use the cross product.

[Edit] I should have mentioned the determinant form for the area of a triangle given its vertices in case you haven't had 3D vectors. If the vertices are ##(a,b),(c,d),(e,f)## the area is also the absolute value of the determinant$$
A = \frac 1 2\left |\begin{array}{ccc}
1 & a & b\\

1 & c & d\\

1 & e & f
\end{array}\right|$$

Last edited:
LCKurtz said:
Guesses don't count, even if they are wild. Make vectors out of two sides of the triangle and remember that the area is ##\frac 1 2|\vec A \times \vec B|##. Use a little calculus on that. You can make the third component of the vectors 0 to use the cross product.

We haven't learned the cross product as it isn't part of our couse, but I'll give it a go.

Thanks for the reply!

KaliBanda said:
We haven't learned the cross product as it isn't part of our couse, but I'll give it a go.

Thanks for the reply!

I edited my post with another 2D suggestion.

FAQ: Finding maximal area of triangle.

1. What is the definition of maximal area of a triangle?

The maximal area of a triangle refers to the largest possible area that can be enclosed within a triangle. It is the maximum amount of space that can be covered by the triangle's three sides.

2. How is the maximal area of a triangle calculated?

The maximal area of a triangle can be calculated using the formula A = 1/2 * base * height, where A is the area, base is the length of the triangle's base, and height is the perpendicular distance from the base to the opposite vertex.

3. What factors affect the maximal area of a triangle?

The maximal area of a triangle is affected by the length of its sides, as well as the angle between these sides. The area will be larger if the sides are longer and the angle between them is closer to 90 degrees.

4. Can a triangle have more than one maximal area?

No, a triangle can only have one maximal area. This is because the maximal area is determined by the length of the sides and the angle between them, which cannot be changed without changing the shape of the triangle.

5. Why is finding the maximal area of a triangle important?

Finding the maximal area of a triangle is important in many real-world applications, such as construction, engineering, and geometry. It helps us determine the most efficient use of space and resources, and can also be used to solve various mathematical problems.