Finding maximum likelihood function for 2 normally distributed samples

In summary, the question is how to combine two samples taken with different methods of the same phenomena, each giving normally distributed variables. The samples are independent and come from the same population with the same mean. The task is to set up a likelihood function for the combined measurements and show that the maximum likelihood estimator for the mean is given by (\sigma^2_2n_1\overline{X}+\sigma_1^2n_2\overline{Y})/(\sigma_2^2n_1+\sigma^2_1n_1). The likelihood function for one sample of a normally distributed function is provided, but it is unclear how to handle the two samples. After some consideration, it is suggested
Gullik

Homework Statement

The question is about how to combine to different samples done with 2 different methods of the same phenomena.

Method 1 gives normally distributed variables [itex]X_1,X_2,...X_{n_1}[/itex], with [itex]\mu[/itex] and [itex]\sigma^2_1[/itex]

Method 1 gives normally distributed variables [itex]Y_1,Y_2,...,Y_{n_2}[/itex], with [itex]\mu[/itex] and [itex]\sigma^2_2[/itex]

All measurements can be considered independent.

Define [itex]\overline{X}=1/n_1*\Sigma^{n_1}_{i=1}X_i[/itex] and [itex]\overline{Y}={1/n_2}*\Sigma^{n_2}_{j=1}Y_j[/itex]

Both the samples are taken from the same population so they have the same [itex]\mu[/itex]

The question is set up a likelihood function for the [itex]n_1 + n_2[/itex] measurements, and show that the maximum likelihood estimator is given by

[itex]\mu_{mle}={(\sigma^2_2n_1\overline{X}+\sigma_1^2n_2\overline{Y})/(\sigma_2^2n_1+\sigma^2_1n_1)}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The likelihood function for 1 sample of a normally distributed function.

[itex]L(\mu)=L(X_1,X_2,...X_n;\mu,\sigma^2)=1/((2\pi\sigma^2)^{n/2})*e^{-1/2*\Sigma^{n}_{i=1}(X_i-\mu)/\sigma}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The main problem is that I don't know how I should handle the 2 samples instead of 1, I'm not sure how those two should combine.

Edit; I think I came up with the solution while I was writing up this which took quite some time since I don't know latex. I'll see when I try it out.

Since the measurement is presumed independent does the likelihood function become something like?

[itex]L(\mu)=L(X_1,X_2,...X_{n_1};\mu,\sigma^2_1)*L(Y_1,Y_2,...,Y_{n_2};\mu,\sigma_2^2)[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
=1/((2\pi\sigma_1^2)^{n_1/2})*e^{-1/2*\Sigma^{n_1}_{i=1}(X_i-\mu)/\sigma_1}*1/((2\pi\sigma_2^2)^{n_2/2})*e^{-1/2*\Sigma^{n_2}_{j=1}(Y_j-\mu)/\sigma_2}maximizing this function yields \mu_{mle}={(\sigma^2_2n_1\overline{X}+\sigma_1^2n_2\overline{Y})/(\sigma_2^2n_1+\sigma^2_1n_1)}

Related to Finding maximum likelihood function for 2 normally distributed samples

1. How do I calculate the maximum likelihood function for 2 normally distributed samples?

The maximum likelihood function for 2 normally distributed samples can be calculated by taking the product of the probability density function (PDF) for each sample and maximizing it with respect to the parameters of the distribution. This can be done using mathematical techniques such as differentiation and optimization.

2. Why is the maximum likelihood function important in statistics?

The maximum likelihood function is important in statistics because it allows us to estimate the most likely values for the parameters of a given distribution, based on the observed data. This can help us make inferences and predictions about the underlying population or process from which the data was sampled.

3. What assumptions are necessary for using the maximum likelihood function?

The maximum likelihood function assumes that the data is independent and identically distributed (iid), and that the samples are drawn from a known probability distribution. It also assumes that the parameters of the distribution are fixed and not influenced by any external factors.

4. Can the maximum likelihood function be used for non-normal distributions?

Yes, the maximum likelihood function can be used for any distribution that is known and has a probability density function (PDF). However, it may be more difficult to calculate and may require different mathematical techniques compared to the normal distribution.

5. How can I interpret the results of the maximum likelihood function?

The results of the maximum likelihood function can be interpreted as the most likely values for the parameters of the distribution, given the observed data. It can also be used to compare different models or distributions to determine which one fits the data best. However, it is important to note that the maximum likelihood function is not the only measure of goodness of fit and should be interpreted in conjunction with other statistical tests and measures.