Finding Maximum Tension in a String

In summary, the conversation involves determining the maximum tension in a string supporting a 2Kg mass at a 30 degree angle to the vertical. The tension can be found using the formula Ft = Fg/sin(30), which in this case equals 39.2N. However, the maximum tension occurs at the bottom of the swing due to the force of centripetal acceleration. To find the tension at this point, one would use the formula F = Fg*cos(30). The conversation also includes a realization that a sin error was made initially.
Andriko
This is a question in my physics lab I'm pretty sure i have done it wrong but don't know what. if anyone can help that would be great

Q- Determine the maximum tension in a string 3m long, supporting a mass of 2Kg, if its released at an angle of 30 degrees to the vertical. (assume vacuum)

The first thing i did was find Fg which is m*g, which equals 2Kg*9.8 =19.6

Then i made a relationship with the angle to find the force of tension which i believed to be the hypotenuse?

Ft = 19.6/sin(30)
= 39.2 N ?

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean the tension in the string at that point?

The maximum tension of the string can be found at the bottom of the swing due to teh force of centripetal acceleration.

But to find the tension force at that point when it is 30 degrees from the vertical would be 19.6cos30, you have the adjacent force which is the force of gravity so you have to find the hypotenuse.

Oh i understand i think i did a sin error, rather then doing cos i did sin

FAQ: Finding Maximum Tension in a String

1. What is maximum tension in a string?

The maximum tension in a string is the greatest amount of force that can be applied to the string before it breaks or snaps.

2. How is maximum tension in a string calculated?

The maximum tension in a string is calculated using the formula T = F * L, where T is the tension, F is the force applied, and L is the length of the string.

3. Why is it important to find maximum tension in a string?

It is important to find the maximum tension in a string to ensure that the string can withstand the intended amount of force without breaking. This is crucial in many applications, such as construction, engineering, and sports.

4. What factors affect the maximum tension in a string?

The maximum tension in a string can be affected by various factors, including the strength and material of the string, the amount and direction of the force applied, and the length and thickness of the string.

5. How can maximum tension in a string be increased?

The maximum tension in a string can be increased by using a stronger and thicker string, increasing the length of the string, or by applying the force in a different direction. It is also important to ensure that the string is not already at its maximum tension before attempting to increase it.