Finding Min. Element in Sequence: Algo & Steps

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the minimum element of a sequence of numbers with a specific condition and limited comparisons. The speaker suggests using an algorithm to compare the first two elements and then the elements of odd or even positions to find the minimum. They also consider using a while loop to find the minimum of the remaining elements.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Smile)

We have a sequence of numbers $A=(a_1, a_2, \dots, a_n), n \geq 3$, for which, it stands the following:

$$\forall i \text{ with } 2 \leq i \leq n-1:$$

either
$$ 1. a_{i-1}<a_i \text{ and } a_i>a_{i+1}$$

or
$$2. a_{i-1}>a_i \text{ and } a_i<a_{i+1}$$

I have to write an algorithm, that finds the minimum element of $A$ with at most $\lceil \frac{n}{2} \rceil$ comparisons.

So, we have to compare the first two elements and if the first is smaller, we will just look at the elements of the odd positions, in order to find the minimum, and if the second element is smaller we will look at the elements of the even positions, right? (Thinking)

Then, how will we find the minimum of the remaining elements we are looking at? Using a while or is there an other way? (Thinking)

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
evinda said:
I have to write an algorithm, that finds the minimum element of $A$ with at most $\lceil \frac{n}{2} \rceil$ elements.

Do you mean $\lceil \frac{n}{2} \rceil$ comparisons?

magneto said:
Do you mean $\lceil \frac{n}{2} \rceil$ comparisons?

Yes, I am sorry... (Blush)

FAQ: Finding Min. Element in Sequence: Algo & Steps

1. How does the algorithm for finding the minimum element in a sequence work?

The algorithm works by comparing each element in the sequence to a variable that holds the current minimum value. If an element is smaller than the current minimum, it becomes the new minimum. This process is repeated until all elements in the sequence have been compared.

2. What is the time complexity of this algorithm?

The time complexity of the algorithm is O(n), where n is the number of elements in the sequence. This means that the time it takes to find the minimum element increases linearly with the size of the sequence.

3. Can the algorithm be used for both sorted and unsorted sequences?

Yes, the algorithm can be used for both sorted and unsorted sequences. However, it may be more efficient to use a different algorithm for finding the minimum element in a sorted sequence.

4. How does this algorithm compare to other methods for finding the minimum element?

This algorithm is a simple and efficient method for finding the minimum element in a sequence. It is often used as a building block for more complex algorithms. Other methods, such as sorting the sequence and then selecting the first element, may be more efficient for certain types of sequences.

5. Are there any special cases where this algorithm may not work?

This algorithm may not work if the sequence is empty or if all elements in the sequence are equal. In these cases, there would be no minimum element to be found. It also may not work if the sequence contains non-numeric elements, as the comparison would not be valid.