Finding min. value of dimensions for a tank of water

In summary, the problem involves finding the dimensions of an open tank with a square base and vertical sides that can hold 32m3 of water while using the minimum amount of sheet metal. The key is to set up a volume function and a surface area function, and then use techniques such as finding the minimum value or using the Lagrange multiplier method. However, there is a shortcut available by imagining creating a closed tank with two optimal open tanks, which would result in a cube.
BOAS
Hello

Homework Statement

An open tank is constructed with a square base and vertical sides to hold 32m3 of water. Find dimensions of the tank if the area of the sheet metal used to make it is to have a minimum value.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not entirely sure of how to approach this problem beyond needing to use the second derivative. I think I need to construct an expression of the area related to volume.

So,

the sides pf the base, x multiply together to give an area x2 and the four sides can be called 4xh (side of the base multiplied by height)

x2 + 4xh is an area of sheet metal

x2h = 32

I don't know how to proceed.

Thank you for any help you can offer

Physics news on Phys.org
BOAS said:
Hello

Homework Statement

An open tank is constructed with a square base and vertical sides to hold 32m3 of water. Find dimensions of the tank if the area of the sheet metal used to make it is to have a minimum value.

Homework Equations

I'm not entirely sure of how to approach this problem beyond needing to use the second derivative. I think I need to construct an expression of the area related to volume.

So,

the sides pf the base, x multiply together to give an area x2 and the four sides can be called 4xh (side of the base multiplied by height)

x2h = 32

The only thing you're missing is that your volume function can be solved for h as a function of x, and then substituted into your surface area function, making it a function of x alone. Once you have the surface area as a function of x, use the usual technique for finding the minimum value.

Mark44 said:
The only thing you're missing is that your volume function can be solved for h as a function of x, and then substituted into your surface area function, making it a function of x alone. Once you have the surface area as a function of x, use the usual technique for finding the minimum value.

ah of course! Thanks

BOAS said:
Hello

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

So,

x2h = 32

Besides the hint already given, you can also use the Lagrange multiplier method (if you know about it).

Ray Vickson said:
Besides the hint already given, you can also use the Lagrange multiplier method (if you know about it).

I don't know about that.

I'm in a physics foundation year (year 0 at my uni) due to not having done the traditional subjects that lead to taking a physics degree.

There is a shortcut available here. If the tank also had a top, you'd straight away say it should be a cube. With the open tank, imagine creating a closed tank by taking two optimised open tanks and inverting one over the other. You must now have created an optimal closed tank, i.e. a cube.

Related to Finding min. value of dimensions for a tank of water

1. What is the minimum volume required for a tank of water?

The minimum volume required for a tank of water depends on the purpose of the tank. For household use, the minimum volume is usually around 1000 liters. However, for industrial or commercial use, the minimum volume may vary depending on the specific needs and regulations.

2. How do you calculate the minimum dimensions for a tank of water?

The minimum dimensions for a tank of water can be calculated by dividing the required volume by the area of the base. This will give you the minimum height needed for the tank. You can then calculate the dimensions for the length and width by considering the shape of the tank (cylindrical, rectangular, etc.) and the desired proportions.

3. Does the shape of the tank affect the minimum dimensions?

Yes, the shape of the tank does affect the minimum dimensions. A cylindrical tank will have a smaller minimum height compared to a rectangular tank with the same volume, but it will require a larger diameter. The shape also affects the stability and structural integrity of the tank, so it is important to consider this when determining the minimum dimensions.

4. Are there any safety considerations when determining the minimum dimensions for a tank of water?

Yes, safety should always be a top priority when designing a tank of water. The minimum dimensions should take into account factors such as the weight of the water, the pressure it exerts on the walls of the tank, and the potential for leaks or structural failure. It is important to consult with a professional engineer to ensure the tank is designed to be safe and structurally sound.

5. Can the minimum dimensions be modified for aesthetic purposes?

Yes, the minimum dimensions can be modified for aesthetic purposes as long as the structural integrity and safety of the tank are not compromised. However, it is important to consult with a professional to ensure that any modifications do not affect the functionality of the tank.