Finding Minimum Values with Lagrange Multipliers

In summary: The constraint says that both x and y must be non-zero. The z equation has a solution only if z=0. When z=0, x=2y and y=2x. But the constraint says that x and y must be non-zero, not just 2x and 2y.
squenshl

Homework Statement

Minimise = x2 + y2 subject to C(x,y) = 4x2 + 3y2 = 12.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I let h(x,y) = x2 + y2 + [tex]\lambda[/tex](4x2 + 3y2 - 12).
I got hx = 2x + 8[tex]\lambda[/tex]x = 0, hy = 2y + 6[tex]\lambda[/tex]y = 0, but here I get 2 values of [tex]\lambda[/tex], [tex]\lambda[/tex] = -1/4 & -1/3. So I don't get a min/max value.

Physics news on Phys.org
When you solve each equation for [tex]\lambda[/tex], you're making an assumption about the values of x and/or y. Perhaps one of these assumptions is wrong.

How about, for example, lambda=(-1/4) and y=0. Doesn't that satisfy both equations?

So a min/max point is (0,0). How do I get the other 3.

(0,0) doesn't satisfy the constraint. Try again.

I think I got it. 4 points: (0,2),(0,-2),([tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex],0),(-[tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex],0). When it asks to minimise do I just find the 2 min values.

Yup.

Cheers.
I have anther question.
How do I find the point(s) on the surface z2 + xy = 1 that lie closest to the origin.
Is it let h(x,y,z) = x2 + y2 + z2 + [tex]\lambda[/tex](z2 + xy - 1) then find the partial derivatives & equate to 0 & the rest.

Yup.

I get [tex]\lambda[/tex] = 0 so the point is (0,0,0) which is the origin but that can't be right?

No, that point doesn't satisfy the constraint, so the multiplier can't be 0.

Look at the z equation. Assume z isn't 0. What does λ have to be? Then use that value to solve for x and y. Then solve for z.

Now assume z=0. To satisfy the constraint, neither x nor y can vanish. For what values of λ will the x and y equations have non-zero solutions?

Oops. I got my hz wrong. [tex]\lambda[/tex] = -1. So y = 2x & x = 2y. So we get z2 + 2x3 = 1 therefore z = [tex]\pm[/tex] (1-2x2)1/2. I get (0,0,1) & (0,0 -1). I actually get 4 more points making 6 in total.

Last edited:
I think this is wrong.

Why?

Related to Finding Minimum Values with Lagrange Multipliers

1. What are Lagrange multipliers?

Lagrange multipliers are a mathematical technique used to find the maximum or minimum value of a function subject to a set of constraints. They are named after the mathematician Joseph-Louis Lagrange.

2. When are Lagrange multipliers used?

Lagrange multipliers are commonly used in optimization problems, where the goal is to find the maximum or minimum value of a function while satisfying a set of constraints. They are also used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving multiple variables and constraints.

3. How do Lagrange multipliers work?

Lagrange multipliers work by introducing a new variable, known as a multiplier, to the function being optimized. This multiplier is then used to create a new function, called the Lagrangian, which is optimized to find the maximum or minimum value. The solution to the Lagrangian gives the optimal values for the original function and the constraints.

4. What are the benefits of using Lagrange multipliers?

Lagrange multipliers provide a systematic and efficient way to solve optimization problems with multiple variables and constraints. They also provide a way to incorporate constraints into the optimization process, allowing for more realistic and practical solutions.

5. What are some real-world applications of Lagrange multipliers?

Lagrange multipliers have many real-world applications, including in economics, physics, engineering, and statistics. They can be used to optimize production processes, minimize costs, and find the optimal values for physical systems. They are also used in data analysis and machine learning to find the best fit for a given set of data points.