Finding molarity when % by mass is known

In summary, molarity is a unit of concentration that measures the number of moles of a solute per liter of solution. It is calculated by dividing the number of moles of solute by the volume of the solution in liters. Molarity can be determined if % by mass is known by using a specific formula. Finding molarity when % by mass is known is important in accurately determining the concentration of a solution. There is a direct relationship between molarity and % by mass, as an increase in molarity leads to an increase in % by mass and vice versa.
erjkism
i need to find the molarity of acetic acid from this data:

CH3COOH (molar mass 60.05) (% by mass: 99.7) (density: 1.05 g/ml)

how do i do it??

Physics news on Phys.org
Find out the mass in grams of 99.7 % of the compound and d = m/v and M = n/v. Hope that helps.

One more thing that I want to add to the previous post is that after you find the mass you should convert it to moles and apply it to the molarity formula.

Related to Finding molarity when % by mass is known

1. What is molarity?

Molarity is a unit of concentration that measures the number of moles of a solute per liter of solution.

2. How is molarity calculated?

Molarity is calculated by dividing the number of moles of solute by the volume of the solution in liters.

3. Can molarity be determined if % by mass is known?

Yes, molarity can be determined if % by mass is known by using the formula: molarity = (% by mass/ molecular weight) x (1000/volume in mL).

4. What is the significance of finding molarity when % by mass is known?

Finding molarity when % by mass is known is important in accurately determining the concentration of a solution. This information is crucial in many scientific experiments and processes.

5. Is there a relationship between molarity and % by mass?

Yes, there is a direct relationship between molarity and % by mass. As the molarity of a solution increases, the % by mass also increases and vice versa.