Finding moment of inertia of a pulley

In summary: That is correct. T1 is actually less than T2. The confusion may be coming from the fact that T1 and T2 have different directions, but the magnitudes are not necessarily the same.
bologna121121

Homework Statement

Two masses, one of [tex]m_{1}= 3kg[/tex], the other of [tex] m_{2}=4kg[/tex], hang from opposite sides of a pulley of radius .15m. When released from rest, the heavier mass falls .34m in 4s. What is the rotational inertia of the pulley?

Homework Equations

Newton's second law and [tex]\tau = I\alpha[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using Newton's 2nd law on each of the masses:
[tex]T_{1} - m_{1}g = m_{1}a[/tex]
[tex]m_{2}g - T_{2} = m_{1}a[/tex]
where [tex]T_{1}[/tex] and [tex]T_{2}[/tex] are the tensions of the rope on each mass.
solving for these tensions yields
[tex]T_{1} = m_{1}(g+a)[/tex]
[tex]T_{2} = m_{2}(g-a)[/tex]
I originally planned to plug these into [tex]\tau = I\alpha[/tex] and use linear kinematics equations to solve for the acceleration and therefore the angular acceleration, but it is clear that [tex]T_{1}[/tex] is greater than [tex]T_{2}[/tex] something seems to have gone wrong, because wouldn't this imply that, through Newton's third law, the net torque would be causing [tex]m_{1}[/tex], the lighter block, to fall? Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
My approach would be:
Find the acceleration of the block and relate this to the angular acceleration of the pulley then find the resultant torque on the pulley. You don't need to worry about tensions.

But don't the tensions determine the resultant torque on the pulley?

Edit: Yeah sorry I'm talking rubbish, I'll have another think tomorrow

Last edited:
bologna121121 said:

Homework Statement

Two masses, one of [itex]m_{1}= 3kg[/itex], the other of [itex] m_{2}=4kg[/itex], hang from opposite sides of a pulley of radius .15m. When released from rest, the heavier mass falls .34m in 4s. What is the rotational inertia of the pulley?

Homework Equations

Newton's second law and [itex]\tau = I\alpha[/itex]

[itex]T_{1} - m_{1}g = m_{1}a[/itex]
[itex]m_{2}g - T_{2} = m_{1}a[/itex]
where [itex]T_{1}[/itex] and [itex]T_{2}[/itex] are the tensions of the rope on each mass.
[itex]T_{1} = m_{1}(g+a)[/itex]
[itex]T_{2} = m_{2}(g-a)[/itex]
I originally planned to plug these into [itex]\tau = I\alpha[/itex] and use linear kinematics equations to solve for the acceleration and therefore the angular acceleration, but it is clear that [itex]T_{1}[/itex] is greater than [itex]T_{2}[/itex] something seems to have gone wrong, because wouldn't this imply that, through Newton's third law, the net torque would be causing [itex]m_{1}[/itex], the lighter block, to fall? Thanks for the help.

Actually, you're doing okay. T1 will be less that T2 because the mass multipliers make a difference.

You can determine the acceleration form the given information: "the heavier mass falls .34m in 4s".

Once you have the acceleration you can determine the tensions T1 and T2. You'll only need the equation for the motion of the pulley to complete.

Last edited:
bologna121121 said:

Homework Statement

Two masses, one of [tex]m_{1}= 3kg[/tex], the other of [tex] m_{2}=4kg[/tex], hang from opposite sides of a pulley of radius .15m. When released from rest, the heavier mass falls .34m in 4s. What is the rotational inertia of the pulley?

Homework Equations

Newton's second law and [tex]\tau = I\alpha[/tex]

[tex]T_{1} - m_{1}g = m_{1}a[/tex]
[tex]m_{2}g - T_{2} = m_{1}a[/tex]
where [tex]T_{1}[/tex] and [tex]T_{2}[/tex] are the tensions of the rope on each mass.
I originally planned to plug these into [tex]\tau = I\alpha[/tex] and use linear kinematics equations to solve for the acceleration and therefore the angular acceleration, but it is clear that [tex]T_{1}[/tex] is greater than [tex]T_{2}[/tex] something seems to have gone wrong, because wouldn't this imply that, through Newton's third law, the net torque would be causing [tex]m_{1}[/tex], the lighter block, to fall? Thanks for the help.

you are forgotting what T1 and T2 are actually doing..

T1 > T2

that part is clear. but...

T1 is increase net acc of the system by pulling m1 upwards.
T2 is decrease net acc of the system...aka...slowing down m2...by pulling it upwards.

So when T1 > T2 that means the system rotates in the direction of m2. the larger mass.

I hope that clears it up for you.

Last edited:
gneill said:
Actually, you're doing okay. T1 will be less that T2 because the mass multipliers make a difference.

You can determine the acceleration form the given information: "the heavier mass falls .34m in 4s".

Once you have the acceleration you can determine the tensions T1 and T2. You'll only need the equation for the motion of the pulley to complete.

that is kinda wrong.

T1>T2

think of it like this.

T2 is a force caused by m1g on m2
T1 is a force caused by m2g on m1

Genoseeker said:
that is kinda wrong.

T1>T2

think of it like this.

T2 is a force caused by m1g on m2
T1 is a force caused by m2g on m1

If T1 were greater than T2, then the pulley would turn towards the T1 side and m2 would rise, not fall.

bologna121121 said:

T1 is not greater than T2.

T2-T1= m2g -m2a -m1g-m1a=g(m2-m1)-a(m2-m1)>0

bologna121121 said:

T1 is no greater than T2.

T2-T1= m2g -m2a -m1g-m1a=g(m2-m1)-a(m2+m1)>0

Related to Finding moment of inertia of a pulley

1. How do you calculate the moment of inertia of a pulley?

To calculate the moment of inertia of a pulley, you need to know the mass of the pulley and its radius. The formula for moment of inertia is I = mr², where m is the mass and r is the radius. You can also use this formula to calculate the moment of inertia for a solid disk or cylinder as they have a similar shape to a pulley.

2. What is the significance of finding the moment of inertia of a pulley?

The moment of inertia of a pulley is important because it tells us how difficult it is to change the rotational motion of the pulley. It is a measure of the pulley's resistance to rotational acceleration and is crucial in understanding the dynamics of rotational motion.

3. Can the moment of inertia of a pulley change?

Yes, the moment of inertia of a pulley can change if the mass or radius of the pulley changes. For example, if you add more mass to the pulley or change its size, the moment of inertia will also change correspondingly. However, if the pulley maintains a constant mass and radius, its moment of inertia will remain the same.

4. How does the moment of inertia of a pulley affect its motion?

The moment of inertia of a pulley affects its motion by determining how quickly it can rotate. The higher the moment of inertia, the more difficult it is to change the rotational speed of the pulley. This means that a pulley with a higher moment of inertia will rotate more slowly than one with a lower moment of inertia, given the same amount of force applied to it.

5. Are there any real-life applications of finding the moment of inertia of a pulley?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of finding the moment of inertia of a pulley. For instance, it is used in engineering and design to determine the size and shape of pulleys needed for certain tasks. It is also essential in understanding how machines, such as bicycles and conveyor belts, work as they often involve pulleys in their mechanisms.