Finding net force on a charge (direction help)

In summary, the problem involves three fixed charges in a two-dimensional space and the task is to find the net force on the -2mC charge. The solution involves calculating the electric field for each charge and combining the components to get the total electric field. The magnitude of the net force is 1.469*108 N/C and the direction is 140.7° counterclockwise from the +x-axis. However, the sign of the -2mC charge must also be taken into account and may be the reason for the incorrect answer.
shortman12012

Homework Statement

In a region of two-dimensional space, there are three fixed charges: +1 mC at (0, 0), −2 mC at (12 mm, -7 mm), and +3 mC at (-6 mm, 18 mm). What is the net force on the −2-mC charge?
magnitude
direction ° counterclockwise from the +x-axis

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So to solve I translated the axes so the origin would be at the -2 mC charge.

1 mC at (-12,7), 3 mC at (-18,25)

E = kq1q2/r2 is a vector along the line joining the two charges.

For the first charge, E =

(8.99 * 109 Nm2/C2)(1 * 10-3 C)(2 * 10-3 C)/((12 * 10-3 m)2 + (7 * 10-3 m)2) = 9.31 * 107 N/C; in vector form given the signs of the charge and the location, E = -8.04 * 107i + 4.69 * 107j N/C

For the second charge, E =

(8.99 * 109 Nm2/C2)(3 * 10-3 C)(2 * 10-3 C)/((18 * 10-3 m)2 + (25 * 10-3 m)2) = 5.68 * 107 N/C; in vector form given the signs of the charge and the location, E = -3.32 * 107i + 4.61 * 107j N/C

Combining components, Etotal = -1.137 * 108i + 9.30 * 107j N/C

magnitude = 1.469 * 108 N/C

direction = 140.7°

My problem is the direction, I check my work and did it again but when I enter it into my homework it says it's wrong. Am I misunderstanding the counterclockwise from the +x-axis or can someone help me out please.

Physics news on Phys.org
Haven't you forgotten the sign of the -2nC charge?

ehild

Related to Finding net force on a charge (direction help)

1. What is net force on a charge?

Net force on a charge refers to the overall force experienced by a charged particle in an electric field. It is the combined effect of all the individual forces acting on the charge.

2. How do you calculate net force on a charge?

The net force on a charge can be calculated by using the equation F_net = qE, where F_net is the net force, q is the charge of the particle, and E is the electric field strength.

3. What is the direction of net force on a positive charge?

The direction of net force on a positive charge is in the same direction as the electric field lines, which is from positive to negative.

4. How do electric field lines help in finding the direction of net force?

Electric field lines show the direction of the electric field at different points in space. Since the direction of net force is the same as the direction of the electric field, the direction of net force can be determined by following the direction of the electric field lines.

5. Can net force on a charge be zero?

Yes, the net force on a charge can be zero if the charge is at rest or if it is moving in the same direction as the electric field with the same magnitude. In this case, the force of the electric field is balanced by the force of another opposing force, such as gravity or magnetic force.

Back