Finding Number of Stars that have Died

• Thread starter astrofunk21
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stars
In summary: Then that should be fairly straightforward. You should be able to find the main-sequence lifetime as a function of mass.
astrofunk21
Hi everyone,

I am currently looking to calculate the amount of stars that die within a certain time-frame. I am trying to go about this using the Salpeter IMF to figure the distribution of star masses...

∫M⋅Φ(M)dM

From here I would need to use star mass to calculate the lifetime of stars as a function of mass...t(M). Then using this I would apply it somehow to the distribution to find out how many of those stars die for a given time (t +Δt).

Is this the right train of thought?

Thanks in advance!

Edit:

Thinking about this more, I could also find the mass turnoff point at that time. From this can't I calculate how many stars are above that mass? That would give me how many stars have died up to that time? If this is all true, it must be difficult to make this a generalized formula...thoughts?

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
The first thing you will have to do is define "died". If a sun-like star has become a white dwarf, has it "died"? Or is it only dead when the white dwarf has cooled to the point where it no longer emits visible light? Or is it even dead then? It is still emitting longer wavelength radiation. How about a massive star that has gone supernova and left a neutron star behind. Has it "died"? The neutron start is still there. Once you have done this, you should be able to write down the star's lifetime as a function of mass. then your plan should work.

phyzguy said:
The first thing you will have to do is define "died". If a sun-like star has become a white dwarf, has it "died"? Or is it only dead when the white dwarf has cooled to the point where it no longer emits visible light? Or is it even dead then? It is still emitting longer wavelength radiation. How about a massive star that has gone supernova and left a neutron star behind. Has it "died"? The neutron start is still there. Once you have done this, you should be able to write down the star's lifetime as a function of mass. then your plan should work.
Thanks for the response. I should've clarified! Rather than "died" I should've said turned off the Main Sequence!

astrofunk21 said:
Thanks for the response. I should've clarified! Rather than "died" I should've said turned off the Main Sequence!

Then that should be fairly straightforward. You should be able to find the main-sequence lifetime as a function of mass.

FAQ: Finding Number of Stars that have Died

1. How do scientists determine the number of stars that have died?

Scientists use a variety of methods to determine the number of stars that have died. This can include studying the chemical composition of galaxies, observing supernova explosions, and analyzing the age and distribution of stars in a particular region.

2. How common is it for stars to die?

Based on current estimates, it is estimated that around one star dies per year in our Milky Way galaxy. However, the exact number of stars that have died in the entire universe is difficult to determine due to the vastness of space.

3. How do scientists know when a star has died?

Scientists can detect when a star has died through various methods, such as observing the change in brightness of a star, the presence of heavy elements in its atmosphere, or the release of high-energy radiation during a supernova explosion.

4. What is the average lifespan of a star?

The lifespan of a star varies depending on its size and mass. Generally, smaller stars can live for billions of years, while larger stars have shorter lifespans and can die in a matter of millions of years.

5. Can scientists predict when a star will die?

It is difficult to predict exactly when a star will die as it depends on several factors, such as its mass and composition. However, scientists can make predictions based on the estimated lifespan of a star and its current stage of evolution.