What is the Orbital Period of Jupiter in Earth Years?

In summary, to find Jupiter's orbital period in Earth years, you can use the equation T^2 = Kr^3, where T is the orbital period, K is a constant, and r is the radius of the orbit. By setting K of Earth equal to K of Jupiter and using the values of 1 Earth year for T (earth) and 1 Earth orbit for R (earth), you can solve for T of Jupiter. This should give you the correct result of 11.86 years. The equation uses the radius of an orbit, not the radius of a planet, regardless of whether the orbit is circular or not.
petern
Jupiter is 5.2 times farther than Earth from the sun. Find Jupiter's orbital period in Earth years.

Equation to use is: T^2 = Kr^3

Radius of Earth is 6378100 m and radius of Jupiter is 71492000 m.

I rearrange the equation to K = T^2/r^3 and set k of Earth equal to k of Jupiter. I enter all of it including 5.2 times radius of Earth into the equation. I solve for t of Jupiter but I always end up with 16.457 years when it should be 11.86 years. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone help me?

petern said:
Radius of Earth is 6378100 m and radius of Jupiter is 71492000 m.

I rearrange the equation to K = T^2/r^3 and set k of Earth equal to k of Jupiter. I enter all of it including 5.2 times radius of Earth into the equation. I solve for t of Jupiter but I always end up with 16.457 years when it should be 11.86 years. What am I doing wrong?

I don't know where you got those radii from, but you don't need them.

Use 1 Earth year as T (earth) and 1 Earth orbit as R (earth). Use 5.2 Earth orbits as R (jupiter).

Plug these into T(earth)^2 / R(earth)^3 = T(jupiter)^2 / R(jupiter)^3

and solve for T(jupiter).

Last edited:
Thanks. Looks like it works but the only problem is that I know that I have to use the radii of the planets which is from the center to the edge of the planet. r stands for radius, not orbit so I don't understand why that's working.

The r stands for radius of an orbit, considered circular, not the radius of a planet! All planets are considered to be point masses in this treatment.

Related to What is the Orbital Period of Jupiter in Earth Years?

1. What is "Finding Orbital Period"?

"Finding Orbital Period" refers to the process of determining the time it takes for an object to complete one full orbit around another object, such as a planet around a star or a moon around a planet.

2. Why is it important to find the orbital period of celestial objects?

Knowing the orbital period of celestial objects allows us to understand their motion and predict their future positions. This information is crucial for studying and tracking objects in space, as well as for planning space missions.

3. How is the orbital period calculated?

The orbital period is calculated using Kepler's Third Law, which states that the square of the orbital period is proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis of the orbit. This means that by measuring the distance between two objects and the time it takes for them to orbit each other, we can calculate the orbital period.

4. What factors can affect the orbital period of an object?

The main factors that can affect the orbital period of an object are the masses of the two objects, their distance from each other, and any external forces acting on the objects, such as gravitational pulls from other nearby objects.

5. How do scientists use the orbital period to study celestial objects?

Scientists use the orbital period to study celestial objects by observing their motion over time. By measuring the changes in their orbital period, scientists can gather information about the objects' mass, distance, and any other factors that may be affecting their orbit. This allows for a better understanding of the objects and their place in the universe.