Finding output voltage of common-drain amplifier

In summary, a common-drain amplifier with a high resistance (R approaching infinity) will have an output voltage (Vo) that is greater than 3 - Vt - (Vgs - Vt), where Vt is the thermal voltage. This simplified expression takes into account the effect of temperature on the output voltage. However, for a more accurate calculation, the full equation including Kirchhoff's voltage law and Ohm's law should be used.
DWill

Homework Statement

Hi, I have a basic MOS common-drain amplifier as described below:

- Drain connected to 5 V DC
- Gate connected to an AC source on top of a 3 V DC source
- Source connected to a 200 uA current source with a resistor R connected in parallel. The parallel connection goes to ground, and the output voltage (Vo) is taken across resistor R.

If R approaches infinity, I heard someone explain that Vo > 3 - Vt - (Vgs - Vt)

where Vt = thermal voltage.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not understanding how to get to this expression, because I had simply thought: Vo = 3 - Vgs, since it's just the voltage applied at the gate minus gate-to-source voltage. I'm not sure where the Vt comes from in the expression above.

Thanks for clearing this up for me!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. The expression Vo > 3 - Vt - (Vgs - Vt) is a simplified version of the actual equation that describes the output voltage of a common-drain amplifier. The thermal voltage (Vt) is a constant value that is dependent on the temperature of the system and is typically very small (around 25 mV at room temperature). It is included in the equation to account for the effect of temperature on the output voltage.

To derive the actual equation, you would need to use Kirchhoff's voltage law and Ohm's law to analyze the circuit. The result would be a more complex equation that includes the thermal voltage and other parameters such as the transistor's transconductance and the current source's value.

However, for practical purposes, the simplified expression Vo > 3 - Vt - (Vgs - Vt) is often used to estimate the output voltage of a common-drain amplifier when R is very large. This is because when R is approaching infinity, the current through the resistor is very small and can be neglected in the analysis. In this case, the output voltage is primarily determined by the voltage at the gate and the thermal voltage.

I hope this helps clarify the expression for you. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Happy experimenting!

Related to Finding output voltage of common-drain amplifier

1. How does a common-drain amplifier function?

A common-drain amplifier, also known as a source follower, is a type of amplifier that has its output voltage at the source terminal of the transistor. This configuration allows for a high input impedance and low output impedance, making it suitable for impedance matching and buffering applications.

2. What is the equation for calculating the output voltage of a common-drain amplifier?

The output voltage of a common-drain amplifier can be calculated using the following equation: Vout = Vin - (Rd x Is), where Vin is the input voltage, Rd is the drain resistance, and Is is the current through the source resistor.

3. How do you select the appropriate components for a common-drain amplifier?

In order to select the appropriate components for a common-drain amplifier, you need to consider the desired gain, input and output impedances, and the required input and output voltage levels. You also need to ensure that the transistor used can handle the desired input and output power levels.

4. What is the voltage gain of a common-drain amplifier?

The voltage gain of a common-drain amplifier is approximately 1, as the output voltage is almost equal to the input voltage. However, the gain can be slightly less than 1 due to the voltage drop across the source resistor and the output impedance of the transistor.

5. How can I improve the output voltage stability of a common-drain amplifier?

To improve the output voltage stability of a common-drain amplifier, you can use a negative feedback circuit, such as a voltage divider, to stabilize the output voltage. Additionally, using a transistor with a high transconductance (gm) can also improve the output voltage stability.