Finding Parametric Equations and Tangent Lines

In summary, the equation for the line tangent to the curve at the point (5/4,-1/2) is y=-6x+7 and the second derivative is 24. Your method of using the dy/dx formula and plugging in the given value of t is correct. However, there was a mistake in your calculation of the first derivative, dx/dt should be -2/t3 instead of -1/t3. Plugging in the corrected values, the second derivative is 24.
MozAngeles

Homework Statement

So I'm studying for my test. doing even and odd problems from the book. I wanted to see if this answer is right.
Q: find an equation for the line in the xy-plane that is tangent to the curve at the point corresponding to the given value of t.Also, find the second derivative
x=1+1/(t^2), y=1-(3/t); t=2

A:line y=-6x+7
d^2y/dx^2=24
So if its not right can you point me in the right direction.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i used the dy/dx formula which is (dy/dt)/(dx/dt), then put it in point slope form. then used the formula for the second derivative

Physics news on Phys.org
Your method is correct. Show your calculation in detail.

ehild

slope=dy/dx=3/t2÷ -1/t3= -3t, plugging in t=2, i got slope=-6

then plugging t=2 into x=1+1/t2 i got 5/4
and into y=1-3/t i got -1/2

plugg those into y-y1=slope(x-x1), then simplyfying i got -6x+7

then for d2y/dx2=dy'/dy÷dx/dt
y'=-3t
dy'=-3
so plugging back into
dy'/dy÷dx/dt=-3/(-1/t3)=3t3= 24 after plugging t=2

You have a mistake: dx/dt=-2/t3.

ehild

which is d^2y/dx^2= (d/dt)(dy/dx).

Good job on using the correct formulas for finding the tangent line and second derivative. Your equation for the tangent line, y = -6x + 7, is correct. To check your work, you can plug in the given value of t (t=2) into the original parametric equations and see if the point (1, -1) lies on the line. As for the second derivative, you correctly found that d^2y/dx^2 = 24. Keep up the good work in studying for your test!

FAQ: Finding Parametric Equations and Tangent Lines

What are parametric equations and how are they different from Cartesian equations?

Parametric equations are a set of equations that describe the motion of a point in terms of one or more parameters. They are different from Cartesian equations because they use parameters instead of variables, and they describe the motion of a point rather than the position of a point on a graph.

How do you find the parametric equations of a curve?

To find the parametric equations of a curve, you need to first identify the independent variable and the dependent variables. Then, use the independent variable to express the dependent variables in terms of it. This will give you the parametric equations of the curve.

What is a tangent line and how is it related to parametric equations?

A tangent line is a line that touches a curve at only one point and has the same slope as the curve at that point. It is related to parametric equations because the slope of the tangent line can be found by taking the derivative of the parametric equations at a specific point.

How do you find the tangent line to a curve described by parametric equations at a specific point?

To find the tangent line to a curve described by parametric equations at a specific point, you need to first find the derivative of the parametric equations. Then, plug in the coordinates of the point into the derivative to find the slope. Finally, use the point-slope formula to find the equation of the tangent line.

Can parametric equations be used to describe any type of curve?

Yes, parametric equations can be used to describe any type of curve, including lines, circles, ellipses, and more complex curves. They are a versatile tool for describing the motion of a point in a coordinate system.

Back