Finding Partial Fractions and Integrating over Unit Circle for Complex Integral?

In summary, the integral of f(z) over the unit circle is (2i/5) ln(5) - (2i/5) ln(4), with the correct substitution of u=exp(2it)+1/4 and limits of integration from u=1 to u=5/4.
John O' Meara
write f(z) in terms of partial fractions and integrate it counterclockwise over the unit circle where [tex] f(z)=\frac{2z+3\iota}{z^2+\frac{1}{4}} \\[/tex]
[tex] 2\int\frac{z}{z^2 + \frac{1}{4}} dz \ + \ 3\iota \int\frac{1}{z^2 + \frac{1}{4}}dz \\ \ \mbox{. Also }[/tex]
[tex]\ z(t) = \exp{\iota t} (0 \leq \ t \ \leq2\pi) \ \frac{dz}{dt}=\iota \exp{\iota t} \\ \ \mbox{therefore} \ f(z(t))=\frac{\exp{\iota t}}{\exp{2\iota t} + \frac{1}{4}}\\ \ [/tex]
[tex] \ 2\iota \int_0 ^{2\pi} \frac{\exp{2\iota t}}{\exp{2\iota t} + \frac{1}{4}}dt \\[/tex] I let [tex] u=\exp{2\iota t} + \frac{1}{4} \\ \ \mbox{ therefore I get } \ \\ \ \int_1 ^1 \frac{1}{u} du=0\\[/tex]. I also get 0 for the 2nd integral expression. Please check my results for error. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Your approach and steps are correct. However, there is a small error in your final result. When substituting u=exp(2it)+1/4, the limits of integration should change as well. The correct limits should be from u=1 to u=1+1/4=5/4. Therefore, the final result should be:

2i∫0^2π (1/5) exp(2it)/(exp(2it)+1/4) dt = (2i/5)∫1^5/4 (1/u) du = (2i/5) ln(5/4) = (2i/5) ln(5) - (2i/5) ln(4)

So, the final result for the integral over the unit circle is:

f(z) = (2i/5) ln(5) - (2i/5) ln(4)

Please note that this result may still be simplified further, but the steps and approach you have taken are correct.

Related to Finding Partial Fractions and Integrating over Unit Circle for Complex Integral?

1. What is a simple complex integral 2?

A simple complex integral 2 is a mathematical concept that involves integrating a complex function over a simple path, such as a line or a circle. This is often used in complex analysis to find the value of a function at a specific point in the complex plane.

2. How is a simple complex integral 2 calculated?

To calculate a simple complex integral 2, you must first parameterize the path of integration and then use the fundamental theorem of calculus to evaluate the integral. This involves breaking the path into small segments and summing the values of the function at each point along the path.

3. What is the difference between a simple complex integral 1 and a simple complex integral 2?

A simple complex integral 1 involves integrating a complex function over a more complex path, such as a curve or a region. A simple complex integral 2, on the other hand, is limited to integrating over a simple path, making it easier to calculate.

4. What are some applications of simple complex integral 2?

Simple complex integral 2 is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving electric and magnetic fields. It is also used in mathematics to evaluate complex functions and to find the value of complex integrals in general.

5. Are there any limitations to using simple complex integral 2?

While simple complex integral 2 is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It can only be used to integrate over simple paths, which may not be suitable for all problems. Additionally, it may not always yield a solution, as some complex integrals are unsolvable using this method.