Finding pH given molarity and volume

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the pH of a solution created by combining 50ml of 0.004M H2CrO4 and 50ml of 0.005M HNO3. The individual molarities of the acids are used to calculate the excess and the molarity of H+ ions. The dissociation of HNO3 is assumed to be complete, while Ka is taken into account for H2CrO4. The resulting pH is found to be 2.6.
KaceCC

Homework Statement

If 50ml of 0.004M H2CrO4 was combined with 50 ml of 0.005M HNO3 what is the pH of the resulting solution?

Homework Equations

Moles H3O=Moles OH ?
Formula for KA

The Attempt at a Solution

So, here's what I have so far.

I made the H2CrO4 represent the acid, and the HNO3 represent the base. I then subtracted them to get the excess, and then found the molarity of that. But I have no idea if I chose the right things to represent acids and bases, in fact I have no idea if I'm doing the right thing. Somebody please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Both of these are acids, there is no base here.

Also, do these substances dissociate completely, or must Ka be taken into account?

p.s. Welcome to Physics Forums :smile:

Last edited:
I believe HNO3 is a strong acid- you can assume that dissociates completely. However, the other acid is NOT a strong acid--you will need Ka for that.

BUT. I'm assuming since the Ka is very small, adding the H+ ions from that species will not change the # of H+ you get from HNO3 because of sig figs.

Therefore, .05L x .005M H+ (from the complete dissociation of HNO3) = 0.00025mol H+

next, find the molarity. 100ml total = .1L
.0025 Molar H+
-log .0025 = 2.6 = pH

Last edited:
cadillac said:
the Ka is very small

No.

.0025 Molar H+

No.

-log .0025 = 2.6 = pH

No.

so sad... haha

Hell of a thread here.

Look up Ka for H2CrO4, and set up the equilibrium equation. That is the key here.

Related to Finding pH given molarity and volume

1. How do you find pH given molarity and volume?

To find pH given molarity and volume, you can use the formula pH = -log[H+], where [H+] represents the concentration of hydrogen ions in moles per liter. First, calculate the concentration of hydrogen ions by multiplying the molarity by the volume in liters. Then, take the negative logarithm of this value to find the pH.

2. What is the relationship between molarity and pH?

Molarity and pH are inversely related. This means that as the molarity increases, the pH decreases, and vice versa. This is because a higher concentration of hydrogen ions leads to a lower pH, and a lower concentration of hydrogen ions leads to a higher pH.

3. Can you find pH without knowing the molarity and volume?

No, you cannot find pH without knowing the molarity and volume. The concentration of hydrogen ions, represented by the molarity, is a key factor in determining pH. Additionally, the volume is necessary to convert the molarity into moles per liter, which is needed for the pH calculation.

4. What is the significance of finding pH?

Finding pH is important in many scientific and practical applications. It helps determine the acidity or basicity of a solution, which can affect chemical reactions, biological processes, and the properties of substances. pH also plays a crucial role in environmental and industrial processes, such as water treatment and food production.

5. Can pH be negative?

Yes, pH can be negative. This occurs when the concentration of hydrogen ions is greater than 1 mole per liter, which is highly acidic. Negative pH values are typically seen in extremely acidic solutions, such as battery acid or stomach acid.

Back