Finding phase difference based on distance

In summary, the question involves calculating the phase difference of waves generated by a tuning fork in a hall 47.0 m long, placed 14.0 m from one end. The tone has a frequency of 246Hz. Calculating the wavelength and dividing the difference in distance traveled by wavelengths gives a phase difference of 144 degrees, but the correct answer is 91.3 degrees, due to an error in significant figures.
Eigengrau

Homework Statement

A tuning fork is in a hall 47.0 m long, and is placed 14.0 m from one end. It generates a tone of 246Hz. What is the phase difference when the waves traveling in each direction bounce back and meet each other?

Homework Equations

Calculated wavelength with 343/246. Also tried 2pi*38m/1.39m = phi. Also maybe (cos phi/2)sin(kx-omega*t+phi/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I figured that I could make it simple, calculate the wavelength, divide the difference in distance traveled by wavelengths, getting 27.4 waves, and then multiply .4 * 360 to get things into degrees. This gives me 144 degrees, but the answer in the back of the book is 91.3 degrees. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Had a chance to talk to the prof, and it turns out my method was correct, but my sig figs were off. Apparently, to get a correct answer, it was necessary to assume the distances were correct to about 5 sig figs, even though the book conventionally requires only 3 and the givens were all in 3 sig figs. Poorly written question IMO.

Related to Finding phase difference based on distance

1. What is the concept of phase difference and how is it related to distance?

Phase difference is the measure of the difference in phase between two waves. It is related to distance because the distance between two points affects the time it takes for a wave to travel between them, which in turn affects the phase difference between the two points.

2. How do you calculate phase difference based on distance?

Phase difference can be calculated by dividing the distance between two points by the wavelength of the wave. This gives the number of wavelengths between the two points, which can then be converted into a phase difference.

3. Can phase difference be negative?

Yes, phase difference can be positive or negative. A positive phase difference means that the two waves are in phase, while a negative phase difference means that they are out of phase.

4. What is the unit of measurement for phase difference?

The unit of measurement for phase difference is radians (rad) or degrees (°), depending on the system of measurement being used.

5. How does phase difference affect wave interference?

Phase difference is directly related to wave interference. When two waves with the same frequency and amplitude have a phase difference of 0 or a multiple of 2π, they will interfere constructively and produce a larger amplitude. On the other hand, when the phase difference is a multiple of π, they will interfere destructively and produce a smaller amplitude.